PDA

View Full Version : 110.28803890

Boman
11-03-2013, 11:49 PM
110.28803890 Kenmore by Whlpl

Complaint was it just quit working. Fill with water and just sit there. Lid switch came to mind. It was having difficulty being actuated.

Thought I had solved the problem. I had let it fill and left it to go through a wash cycle. Later when I came back, it was just sitting there with water in it. I raised the panel and attached a hose to the level switch so I could satisfy the switch. It kind of wanted to just hum like something was binding.

Now my thoughts are on the pump.

Comments?

Thanks.

jeff1
11-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Complaint was it just quit working. Fill with water and just sit there. Lid switch came to mind

Definetly the first thing to check.

It kind of wanted to just hum like something was binding.

Something in the pump, motor coupler, motor, motor wire, motor start capacitor, timer ( burnt contacts ), tranny binding....

jeff.

Boman
11-04-2013, 11:51 AM
tranny binding

Shut yo' mouth! LOL!
Heheh, seriously, I know that is a possibility, just hoping for something simpler.

Kind of strange, corrected the lid switch problem ( was not actuating every time ).

Now this humming thing. I will know more today I hope.
Sold this washer a little over a month ago. May just offer the guy his money back, since I sold the last nicer one I had yesterday.

Actually, I do have a pretty nice Whlpl, but it is older and needs a timer knob.

Anyway, I will make him happy.

jeff1
11-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Now this humming thing

Time to pull the cabinet off and check it out.

jeff.

Boman
11-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Okay, this thing might run fine one minute, the next minute it is humming. I can take a wire off of the capacitor and it starts back up. I called myself checking the cap, and it seems to me it checks fine then does not. I took it to an electric motor shop and was told it checked good.
Do these things ever get hot and cut in and out?

What if I put a higher rated capacitor from another washer on it to try and see if it acts up?

jeff1
11-05-2013, 01:18 AM
Do these things ever get hot and cut in and out?

The capacitor, not normally.
Motor can over heat and shut off on it's built in safety.

What if I put a higher rated capacitor from another washer on it to try and see if it acts up?

The original...
Capacitor, motor start 125 volt 189-227 mfd

jeff.

Boman
11-05-2013, 10:14 AM
I also thought of the possibility of the motor overheating, but it seems to stay pretty cool to the touch, a lot cooler than soem I have come across lately.

My actions to this point -
Adjusted lid switch actuator
New coupler
New pump
And maybe the most important, bent the terminals on the cap to hopefully make a tighter connection.

So far, it appears to be working properly. I will let it run a few cycles today before I call him to come get it.

Sorta wish I had gotten a new cap yesterday to add to the other parts I replaced. I felt like this one may have a loose terminal connection inside of it. It was like I need to push the prongs of my meter on the terminals sometimes to get it to sweep to one side then back instead of simply touching them.

P.S. When I mentioned it would run when I removed a wire from the cap, I meant to say when I pulled the wire then put it back on it would run. Would that rule out the tranny hanging? I called my self checking it with a drill motor. Guess that is not real reliable way to rule out a hanging tranny.

Anyway, maybe it is ready now.

Thanks

jeff1
11-05-2013, 12:34 PM
I felt like this one may have a loose terminal connection inside of it. It was like I need to push the prongs of my meter on the terminals sometimes to get it to sweep to one side then back instead of simply touching them.

Could be broken/loose inside.

I meant to say when I pulled the wire then put it back on it would run. Would that rule out the tranny hanging?

Probably.
No harm in trying another cap for sure.

jeff.

Boman
11-06-2013, 12:54 PM
I put a new cap on it. At first it acted up. I switched the caps back and forth a few times. Finally I left the new cap on it, and it has been through several cycles.

I had also blown the motor out the best I could while it was still on the machine.

On the way to get the new cap, I couldn't help but think about it stopping and/or humming at the same function each time it did it like right at the end of a wash cycle where it should pump water out and or go into spin mode. It didn't seem to matter whether it was in a delicate cycle, wash, heavy , or whatever.

Kinda makes me wonder if the timer has sticking contacts. Maybe they were just a little dirty.

jeff1
11-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Kinda makes me wonder if the timer has sticking contacts. Maybe they were just a little dirty.

Esp if at the exact same spot...a funky cap or motor wouldn't normally do there, would be intermittant anywhere.

jeff.