PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Water Heater

11-06-2013, 02:20 AM
We rent our house. Our old water heater crapped out, about 5 months ago. The landlords replaced it with what I believe may be a brand new one. Yesterday and today when I went to take a shower, the water wasn't as warm as normal. I thought that my boyfriend turned the temperature down to save electricity or something, even though I pay the electric bill. So I went downstairs to turn it back up. The cover appeared to never have been taken off, since there was some sort of face plate or something over the reset button/temperature that had never been taken off. The water heater shocked me (which is what our last one did before it crapped out), and it appears the temperature has never been changed, yet the water temperature doesn't get as hot as it did. Do you think this water heater is going to stop working too? I'm assuming there is a problem with it, and need to know if it's dangerous. Or what could be going on with it. The landlords are going to be upset if it's not working after they spent all that money.

-Thanks, Alexia

jeff1
11-06-2013, 02:35 AM
Hi,

Do you think this water heater is going to stop working too?

Yes.

I'm assuming there is a problem with it, and need to know if it's dangerous

Yes, shocks are very dangerous...remove the power until it is repaired.

Or what could be going on with it

Shorted heating element is very possible.

jeff.

11-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Thank you. Is it fixable? Or do you have to replace the whole thing?

11-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Also, could it start a fire?

jeff1
11-06-2013, 12:20 PM
could it start a fire?

Nope.

Is it fixable?

Probably.

Or do you have to replace the whole thing?

Most can have the element only changed.

jeff.