PDA

View Full Version : grease?

Boman
11-26-2013, 10:33 PM
501Hey Jeff, how's it going?

Does this look like grease? I have seen a few washers lately with dark rings in the agitators and thought they may be from softener, detergents, hard water, and such.
Now I wonder if they had bad seals on the drive tube.
This is not the same machine I posted about a few days ago.

Seems I have seen more of this than I ever did a few years ago when I was dealing with these things.

I might add, this discoloration is hard to get off.

jeff1
11-27-2013, 02:21 AM
thought they may be from softener, detergents, hard water, and such.

It is....and body oils....we see that all of the time also.
Things like body oil float on top of the water and leave that ring.

jeff.

Boman
11-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks Jeff.. I should have mentioned this machine has grease at the top of the drive tube like the one I posted about a short while back except worse. This was my daughters before I swapped it out for a newer one. They had not complained about spots or anything getting on their clothes. Since I swapped them out, she has said something about blue spots on some things. She was thinking maybe they were using too much softener or something. It is one of the hydro washers with no agitator like I am accustomed to so I do not know. I assume it does not call for as much washing ingredients.

Anyway, I am wondering if these spots were already getting on the clothes from the older machine and just now being noticed. The blue color kinda throws me off though.

jeff1
11-27-2013, 12:30 PM
. Since I swapped them out, she has said something about blue spots on some things. She was thinking maybe they were using too much softener or something

Or not deluting it enough....esp the 2X concentrated ones.

I am wondering if these spots were already getting on the clothes from the older machine and just now being noticed.

I doubt it...mostly just leaves that ring around the coller effect in the washer.

jeff.

Boman
11-27-2013, 12:45 PM
It seems these seals have to get pretty bad before the oil/grease starts to cause problems. Maybe because water and oil do not mix and what oil does get on the clothes is being washed off?

jeff1
11-27-2013, 02:37 PM
It seems these seals have to get pretty bad before the oil/grease starts to cause problems

For sure...worst is water weeping into the gear box and push out the oil.

jeff.