View Full Version : power surge and thermal fuse

Boman
12-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Recently got two Whlpl built dryers. Lady said they went out within 2 weeks. Called the power company and found out they had too much power coming in and some feeders were changed from the pole.
Both thermal fuses are bad but both run when bypassed and or changed.

Make sense that this would be the only damage?

Thanks.

jeff1
12-16-2013, 02:30 AM
Thermal is heat....thermal fuse lets go when the element is grounded, poor air flow ( venting, lint filter ) allows the element or temp to get too hot or a bad thermostat......not -normally- from a voltage spike.

jeff.

Boman
12-16-2013, 11:42 AM
I sorta thought it was a strange happening myself. It was just that the only damage was one electrical plug in a bedroom and the two dryers going out within a couple of weeks.

I did get a quite a bit of matted up lint and debris out of the exhaust chute of one. I sold it. I will double check the other one today.

After I sold the one, I could not remember if I checked to see if it cycled properly or not.

Looks like I'm going to have to type out a check list of things to do and mark things off as I do them when checking and repairing these things. I use repair tickets partly for this purpose now.

jeff1
12-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to type out a check list of things to do and mark things off as I do them when checking and repairing these things.

A good idea!

jeff.

Cooker Doctor
12-17-2013, 08:30 AM
You are apsulutely right. I also agree with you.

Boman
12-17-2013, 12:03 PM
My thermal fuses came in yesterday so I repaired the second one. It appears to be cycling as it should. This thing was in awful shape as far as needing cleaning out. Money, pencil, matted up lint, etc..

The exhaust chute was also in bad shape with a solid mass of lint and.....whatever in the bottom.
So it seems the mystery has been solved as to why both fuses would let go within 2 weeks.

jeff1
12-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Money, pencil, matted up lint, etc..

Money....cool!! :D

jeff.

Boman
12-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Yep, keep thinking I will find a rare double stamped coin of some kind. :cool: