PDA

View Full Version : Caloric RLS358

Navyguy
12-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Seem to be having an issue with the subject oven.

Turn the oven temperature up however the oven does not ignite. Glowbar igniter glows brightly, so I assume it is a thermocouple of some sort. I assume there is some type of TC that will open up the gas valve, however have not torn anything apart yet to discover any issues.

Any suggestions on a testing procedure as I am not a "repair by replace" kind a guy :-)

Cheers

John

jeff1
12-18-2013, 02:27 AM
Hi,

Glowbar igniter glows brightly, so I assume it is a thermocouple of some sort.

If you have a hot surface ignitor, that is the thermocouple. The hot surface ignitor is suppose to get hot enough to ignite the gas. The hot surface ignitor is suppose to draw a certain amount of current ( amps ) to open the gas safety valve. The hot surface ignitor can glow and still be bad. They often weaken and don't draw enough current to open the gas safety valve.

LINK> http://www.applianceaid.com/gas-range-repair-help.php#glow

RLS358

This is going to likely be too old for most online parts look ups.

This was a common Caloric ignitor used...

523 Oven igniter assembly Manufacturer part number 786324 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1191)

jeff.

Navyguy
12-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks Jeff.

I will take a look later tonight and let you know how I make out.

Cheers

John

jeff1
12-18-2013, 02:48 PM
I will take a look later tonight and let you know how I make out.

Great, please do keep us posted :)

jeff.

Navyguy
12-28-2013, 02:28 AM
Just an update...

Was able to find an exact match by using your link and then tracking down the various OEM part numbers. Went to a local appliance shop and they wanted over a $100 for the part. Found the exact part online for $23.00.

Install the part in a couple of minutes and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the troubleshooting procedure.

Cheers

John

jeff1
12-28-2013, 02:51 AM
Install the part in a couple of minutes and it works like a charm.

Thankx for the update.

jeff.