PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Boman
12-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Of the three fridges I have been fooling with trying to get one to work, this one has a part I am unfamiliar with. Wondering if it is some kind of capacitor? It has a white wire and an orange wire connected to it. The orange goes to the compreesor. This thing attaches to the back of the fan housing.

Thew model number of the fridge is - GTS15BCMBLww
I have tried the numbers on this part trying to find it online diagrams of the fridge with no luck.

It has 15uF on it, so I guess it is a capacitor. It has no ohm reading on it at all. If this is a start cap, and it does not show any reading with a digital ohm meter, can it be bypassed and hardstart used?

Boman
12-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Found it. Appears to be a run capacitor. If it checks like other caps, it shows to be bad.

Is this the relay spoken of in the other post where you sai a hard start should not be used if these are present, Jeff?

I think you called it a ptl cap or sometyhing like that?

jeff1
12-28-2013, 02:49 AM

Run capacitor. This is for energy efficiency and DOES NOT make something run.
It is very small at 15UF...start capacitors are more like 88-108 UF.

jeff.

Boman
12-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Thanks Jeff. What is the purpose of this thing? Can it be bypassed and a 3 in1 used? Am I right in thinking this should show a reading then go back to infinity?

Why is it called a run capacity?

jeff1
12-28-2013, 01:18 PM
What is the purpose of this thing?

Run capacitor. This is for energy efficiency, can save 5-10% hydro.

Can it be bypassed and a 3 in1 used?

Can it yes, should it no.

m I right in thinking this should show a reading then go back to infinity?

Yes, but it is small....might miss the needle deflection.

Why is it called a run capacity?

It is in the circuit when the compressor is running.

jeff.

Boman
12-29-2013, 01:03 AM
might miss the needle deflection.

What should I expect with a digital meter? A while back I bought a cheap analog for checking capacitors but have misplaced it.

jeff1
12-29-2013, 02:27 AM
What should I expect with a digital meter?

If I remember I will try to see what happens....but I never use an digital meter for capacitors or microwave repairs.

jeff.