PDA

View Full Version : chacking compressors

Boman
12-28-2013, 12:01 AM
When checking compressors with an ohm meter, if the reading on run to com and start to com do not equal run to start, how much difference is acceptable?

What indicates a compressor that may need a hardstart?

jeff1
12-28-2013, 02:36 AM
What indicates a compressor that may need a hardstart?

Older style with a mechanical relay can use these. Slow to start ones. Low voltage areas.

When checking compressors with an ohm meter, if the reading on run to com and start to com do not equal run to start, how much difference is acceptable?

A couple of ohms is ok...most -should- equal out.

jeff.

Boman
12-28-2013, 03:18 AM
Can one or two ohms difference indicate a need for a hard start? And what to do with the run cap that shows no ohms on the fan housing I was asking about in another post?

This fridge would make a electrical popping like sound about every 30 secs or so at the hard start that was on it. When I checked it out, it had sorta come apart. I then tried a new one on it. It still sounded like it was cutting on and off. I removed the hard start. Then I found the run cap. Anyway to test the hard start to see if it was damaged?

jeff1
12-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Can one or two ohms difference indicate a need for a hard start?

Nope.

And what to do with the run cap that shows no ohms on the fan housing I was asking about in another post?

Replace it.

This fridge would make a electrical popping like sound about every 30 secs or so at the hard start that was on it

Sounds like a bad compressor.

Anyway to test the hard start to see if it was damaged?

Easiest way is to try it on a known working unit.

jeff.