View Full Version : timer bench test

Boman
01-02-2014, 03:17 PM
PN - WR09X10041

How would I bench test this refrigerator timer with a n ohm meter?

Cheater wires with power?

Most info I have found says line 1 is power wire for the motor. I have seen a vid or two that the positions of the wire match this timer but not the numbers on the terminals.

jeff1
01-02-2014, 04:12 PM
How would I bench test

Wouldn't it be easier in the refrigerator to test?

Should work this way...

Cheater wires with power?

Sure, 1 - 3 runs the timer motor.

jeff.

Boman
01-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks, Jeff. I have the same schematic. Correct me if I am wrong, but the orange line is the neutral. Right?

When using a cheater for a bench test on the timer, does it matter which lead goes where on 1 and 3?

Boman
01-03-2014, 12:35 AM
If one were to bypass the run cap and install a hardstart temporarily, would you tie the white and the orange at the compressor together with a power lead on the hard start?

jeff1
01-03-2014, 01:28 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the orange line is the neutral. Right?

Right.

When using a cheater for a bench test on the timer, does it matter which lead goes where on 1 and 3?

Nope.

If one were to bypass the run cap and install a hardstart temporarily, would you tie the white and the orange at the compressor together with a power lead on the hard start?

On the diagram above? If yes, shouldn't use a hard start on a PTC relay controlled compressor......all that being said, black and orange would go to the power wires on the hard start kit.

jeff.

Boman
01-03-2014, 12:45 PM
This one has 3 wires not just black and orange. These are shown in the schematic. White and orange at the relay coming from the run cap. Black at the overload. This one is actually black and white. What would you do with the white wire?

I ask this because I understood you to indicate that even though this should not be done, it could be until the correct part came in. I was thinking for testing purposes to see if the unit was worth ordering anything to go on it.

Thanks

P.S. I think I just figured it out. I had connected the white and orange to bypass the run cap. Disconnect this, remove the white that went to the relay and just use the orange with the black and white at the hard start?

jeff1
01-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Write down where they came from and where they go....remove the two wires for the run cap and just use the 2 left over ones....those should be the 120 volts from the refrigerator to run the compressor.

jeff.

Boman
01-04-2014, 04:52 PM
That's what I just said! .....I think. LOL!

Hehehe, thanks.

jeff1
01-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Kinda, sorta, maybe ;)

jeff.

Boman
01-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Kinda, sorta, maybe ;)

jeff.

My wife says she understands you completely.

I sometimes quote Cool Man Luke (?) (Movie with Steve McQueen)

" Whut we haave hea is a failya to commoonicate".

:D

jeff1
01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
LOL!

Cool Hand Luke is a 1967 American prison drama film directed by Stuart Rosenberg, starring Paul Newman and featuring George Kennedy in an Oscar-winning performance. Newman stars in the title role as Luke, a prisoner in a Florida prison camp who refuses to submit to the system.
Luke attempts to escape and mimics the Captain's famous line, "What we've got here is a failure to communicate", and is immediately shot in the neck by Boss Godfrey. After Luke's death, Dragline and the other prisoners reminisce about him, and the torn photograph of him.

jeff.

Boman
01-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Thats right, it was Paul Newman.
I stand corrected.

jeff1
01-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Steve McQueen, Paul Newman...close enough ;)

jeff.

Boman
01-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Yep, I could just easily said Richard Burton. Something about them, three maybe the same era.