View Full Version : side by side frost pattern

Boman
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Jeff, should the frost pattern on a side by side form in about the same time as a single door fridge, 20 to 30 minutes?

I have one that I have tried to check in my shop. The shop temp would be a little above 60. The frost pattern seemd to be on the bottom 1/3 of the coils. The fridge does cool down and shut off at the right temps, but it seems to turn off and on a lot. Also, I noticed the temp in the freezer may get up to around 20 degrees before the compressor kicks back on. FF will still be around 40 or a little cooler.

Is this normal for the first day or two until the temp gets stabilized?

jeff1
01-06-2014, 04:04 PM
should the frost pattern on a side by side form in about the same time as a single door fridge, 20 to 30 minutes?

Yes.

The frost pattern seemd to be on the bottom 1/3 of the coils.

Coils tacky at all on the others?

The fridge does cool down and shut off at the right temps, but it seems to turn off and on a lot. Also, I noticed the temp in the freezer may get up to around 20 degrees before the compressor kicks back on.

On longer than off, off longer than on?

Is this normal for the first day or two until the temp gets stabilized?

24 hours.

jeff.

Boman
01-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Coils tacky at all on the others?

I had wet my finger and touched the top corner of the coil with no tackiness felt.

On longer than off?

Not sure. I did not actually wait for it to do either. I was back and forth to the shop.

The getting up to around 20 in the freezer before coming back on concerns me. Maybe this is normal until the temp gets stabilized. I reailze the compressor will not come back on until the ff section gets below a certain number, but I was thinking the freezer should hold temp a little closer to the target number

jeff1
01-07-2014, 01:24 AM
I had wet my finger and touched the top corner of the coil with no tackiness felt.

That normally is not a good sign.

The getting up to around 20 in the freezer before coming back on concerns me.

For sure. That is why I wondered if the refrigerator was on more than off or off more than on....off more than on might be a cold control with a too wide of a temp swing and staying off a little too long. On more than off and we get temps of 20?F in the freezer might be more of an system issue.

jeff.

Boman
01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Also on this fridge, there is some rust going along the bottom of the freezer side where the metal and plastic interior meet. I don't know how long this thing sat outside. I do know it rained the night before I got it.
This brings up another subject I will make a different post for.

Thanks.

jeff1
01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
there is some rust going along the bottom of the freezer side where the metal and plastic interior meet

Defrost drain leaking inside and water/ice got to the liner edge is possible.

jeff.