PDA

View Full Version : refrigerators and rain

Boman
01-07-2014, 12:40 PM
If a refrigerator get rained on from sitting outside, what keeps water from getting behind the cabinet and liner and getting the insulation wet?

What kind of problems can you expect from one that has been rained on maybe more than once. Problems maintaining steady temps? Eventually paint lifting? Rust spots? Rust where the plastic liner meets the metal cabinet?

I have one I was convinced was bad to the point of hauling off. It has been outside a couple of weeks. I took it off the trailer thinking I would bring it in the house and try it where there would be no question of ambient temp causing problems.

Now I'm thinking it may not be such a good idea since it has been outside so long.

jeff1
01-07-2014, 04:37 PM
If a refrigerator get rained on from sitting outside, what keeps water from getting behind the cabinet and liner and getting the insulation wet?

Nothing does. Most today have foam in place insulation so it shouldn't get wet.

What kind of problems can you expect from one that has been rained on maybe more than once. Problems maintaining steady temps? Eventually paint lifting? Rust spots? Rust where the plastic liner meets the metal cabinet?

Damaged electrical parts, for sure the finish issues ( paint )...most functioning parts probably won't be damaged if allowed to dry out properly...JMO!

jeff.

Boman
01-07-2014, 06:59 PM
So I might be spitting in the wind if I spend anymore time on this one that has been outside a couple of weeks?

I might just take some parts off and scrap it.

I recently bought one for $50. Thought I was helping a guy's family out right before Xmas. Said he had been using it. Got it home, tore into it, removed the bulb and put the fridge on the curb.

Had bug larvae all in it, and the fan was rusted stiff.
Inexpensive attempt at a good deed that cost HIM!

jeff1
01-08-2014, 01:18 AM
So I might be spitting in the wind if I spend anymore time on this one that has been outside a couple of weeks?

I see no harm is at least giving it a shot and see what happens/doesn't happen.

jeff.