PDA

View Full Version : Roaring Hotpoint top load washer spin

Boman
01-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Hotpoint Top load washer
Model - VBSR3100B0ww

Thing sounds like a jet in the spin mode. It does this with the agitator and drive block removed also.

Bearing?

Lets try not to say the "T" word! :eek:

Is it possible for us to post a video on here? I have problems with posting pics here, unless something has changed. That is why I ask.

Thanks

jeff1
01-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Is it possible for us to post a video on here?

Video button above is like a film strip.

Thing sounds like a jet in the spin mode. It does this with the agitator and drive block removed also.

Often water weeps through the tub seal onto the...the...gearbox and takes out the bearing...
http://www.applianceaid.com/ge-washer-noisy-in-spin-mode.php
...next might be the tub nut and hub is loose....but most tell us the wash basket is wobbling and making noises.

jeff.

Boman
01-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Http://youtu.be/jRgMSoPWa8g

I think water has seeped down and taken the bearing and washer out. The nut looks like it is going to need to soak in penetrating oil a little.

In the video, If I can get it to you, you will there is something still working even when the lid is raised and it has stopped spinning. It is almost like an agitating sound, but nothing is moving in the basket/tub area.

I have had this washer for a while. If I remember correctly, it goes through all the cycles as it should. It just has this roar when spinning.

I will try to up load the video.

Looks like I may have to upload to youtube (if I can) then try to put it here. If that does not work, I may try to send it toy you Jeff.

DADA! Where are the dancing bananas when you need them? LOL!

thefixer
01-15-2014, 03:43 PM
That noise with lid open is just the drain pump running. You either have a bad tub bearing or lower transmission bearing. You can take a look at transmission bearing with front panel off. Also feel that housing after it's been spinning awhile. If it's really hot, that bearing is bad. Use flashlight and mirror to look at top of bearing to see if it's rusting out form water leakage. That bearing can be replaced but is a bit of work. I have detailed web page on replacing it.

http://home.comcast.net/~fairbank56/GETransmissionBearing.jpg

jeff1
01-15-2014, 04:27 PM
DADA! Where are the dancing bananas when you need them? LOL!

Are these good enough?.... 553

That bearing can be replaced but is a bit of work. I have detailed web page on replacing it.

Whats the address??

In the video, If I can get it to you, you will there is something still working even when the lid is raised and it has stopped spinning. It is almost like an agitating sound, but nothing is moving in the basket/tub area.

Drain pump.
For sure that sound in the t...tr...tra...gearbox bearing.

jeff.

Boman
01-15-2014, 04:57 PM
bad tub bearing or lower transmission bearing

Lets try not to say the "T" word!

Or both.For sure that sound in the ........gearbox bearing.

Boy, there's one in every bunch! LOL!

So you think the sound is coming from the tranny, but that bearing can bought and it can be fixed?

You are right, from what I have seen, this can be a little involved. I did find a vid or two of the tub bearing be changed. Almost complete disassembley!

That being said, it would be a learning experience for me. It would help me diagnose and decide whether I want to mess with anymore like it to fix and try to sell.

Are these good enough?.... Name: party.gif

Works for me! :D
Views: 1
Size: 16.9 KB

Works for me!

thefixer
01-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Here's the link to my webpage and one for the bearing.

http://home.comcast.net/~fairbank56/GEtransmission/GEtransmission.html

http://bearingsdirect.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Boman
01-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks . Anything under tension when removing fasteners to be aware of?

Jeff, mind posting the link your page on this subject also?

Thanks guys.

thefixer
01-15-2014, 09:04 PM
There's not that much tension on the brake springs when removing the brake hub retaining ring but you will have to use a couple clamps to compress the springs to get it back into the groove. It will also make it a bit easier to remove the ring if you do compress the springs first but I've gotten the ring off without doing that.

jeff1
01-16-2014, 01:39 AM
So you think the sound is coming from the tranny, but that bearing can bought and it can be fixed?

The bearing is part of the tranny....um, gearbox ;)
It doesn't come seperate from the manufacture ( GE ), it only comes with the tranny....um, gearbox.

554 Transmission and brake assembly, includes new tub seal Manufacturer Number WH38X10002 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=279566)

Seeing the lower part of the tranny apart brings back memories of when we use to take them apart for the repair kit to stop the spinning and agitating at the same time.

Jeff, mind posting the link your page on this subject also?

On changing the bearing only, don't have any....we would change out the whole tranny....um, gearbox.

jeff.

Boman
01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Oh well, I still have the control panel. May even have another broken machine with a good tttrr..GEAR BOX! Doubt it, anything but a transmission or timer, and I can usually fix them.

Just replacing the tub bearing would be ...spitting in the wind you think?

P.S.
repair kit to stop the spinning and agitating at the same time.

Little off subject, but did this just involve replacing the spring?

Boman
01-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Sure sounds like a noisy pump.

jeff1
01-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Just replacing the tub bearing would be ...spitting in the wind you think?

Peeing into the wind yes.

Little off subject, but did this just involve replacing the spring?

Nope. New bearing balls, ball supports ( for a lack of a better word ), new LGS spring, new grease......

Sure sounds like a noisy pump.

That pump is defiently not quiet!

jeff.

Boman
01-17-2014, 03:10 PM
New bearing balls, ball supports ( for a lack of a better word ), new LGS spring, new grease......

Was all that necessary or just the thing do since you were that far into the machine?

In other words, will a broken spring by itself not cause the simultaneous spinning and agitating action?

jeff1
01-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Was all that necessary

Yes.
Ball bearings, supports the bearings sat against would get out of shape and stick leaving the brake disengaged....replacing the whole tranny was less labour and quicker.

jeff.

Boman
01-18-2014, 03:49 PM
I s..understand.

P.S. Did you know notification of these responses show up several hours after the fact?
I read this sometime yesterday, and it is just now showing up in my mail box sometime in the last little bit this morning. May be on this end though.

jeff1
01-18-2014, 05:20 PM
P.S. Did you know notification of these responses show up several hours after the fact?

Nope, I don't use that.

jeff.

Boman
02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Surely that bearing has a number and can bought at an industrial supply house?

Fixer? Got the number, size whatever for that bearing?

jeff1
02-12-2014, 01:20 AM
Not from an appliance parts depot....probably have to measure the bearing and get one from a bearing supplier.

http://www.astbearings.com/ball-bearings-catalog.html

jeff.

Boman
05-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Update:

Got a wild hair and decided to put the control panel, motor, and pump on a GE that had no timer, since they showed to have the same transmission.

Worked like a charm. The GE is now a Hotpoint complete with back panel with the Hotpoint numbers.

jeff1
05-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Good deal :)

jeff.