PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Kenmore

Boman
01-15-2014, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLyu4sw7-oc&feature=youtu.be

Something between the tub and basket?

Balance ring? Clutch/brake? Weak suspension spring? All the springs are on it and none are loose from there connection points. Have no way of measuring their tensions.

Near the end, I turn it off and back on so you can hear the loud noise at the start of the spin cycle when I do this.

I washed a few blankets in it yesterday ,and it seemed to spin them like it should with no excess water left in them.

jeff1
01-16-2014, 01:29 AM
Squeak when braking is the brake.
Don't know what that roar like noise was.
Maybe remove the outer cabinet and bypass the lid switch to help better Id what/where that noise is coming from.
First thought might have been the drive block, but it seemed to spin fairly good.

jeff.

Boman
01-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I think I will pull the tub and check for anything that is not supposed to be there. Maybe something small is in there causing the noise and not causing the off balance action until the high speed is obtained.

Thanks. I'll let you know what I find if anything.

Boman
01-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Nothing between the tub and outer basket except grime buildup and such. Enough to one side to cause a slight wobble at high speed spin? Doubt it. I don't know how much fluid is supposed to be in the balance ring, but there does not seem to be much in this one.

Maybe it got overloaded at some point and caused a suspension spring to loose tension? Maybe it was moved on its side or back for a long distance and stretched a spring? No idea.

I think I have me a parts machine.

I think I am going to take the wlc switch off this machine and put it on a whlpl built Kitchenaide that overflowed once. The substitute switches show to be the same.

I also may be able to fix a whlpl I have with a part from this one. May be a silver lining to all this after all.

jeff1
01-16-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't know how much fluid is supposed to be in the balance ring, but there does not seem to be much in this one.

I don't how much is in there if you drained it as that is suppose to be sealed....only way to loose some is a crack.....should make a sloshing sound when you move that around.

I also may be able to fix a whlpl I have with a part from this one. May be a silver lining to all this after all.

Good!! :)

jeff.

Boman
01-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Well, I put the pump , pump intake hose and lid switch on an Estate washer. Good washer, but it has a slight buzz in the timer.

I took the wlc switch and put it on a Kitchenaid that was reported to have overflowed, even though I could not get it to do this. That does not mean it did not overflow, just means it never did do with me before or after I sold it.

So, I got two going with parts off of one and still have most of the controls and the motor.

The buzzing is not real bad on the first machine's timer. How concerned should I be about this?

Not long ago, I returned one to a guy because the timer had a buzzing in it. In that case the buzzing sounded almost like wires shorting. This is not like that.

jeff1
01-17-2014, 02:22 AM
but it has a slight buzz in the timer.

That is never a good sign.....but could do that for years before ever quitting.....I'd leave it until you have to deal with it.

jeff.

Boman
01-17-2014, 03:12 PM
If it was going to be used here at home, it would not bother me as much. I try to get these things ready to sell.

Boman
01-26-2014, 11:04 PM
I think I have narrowed it down to suspension pads. Might order some for the heck of it just to see. I removed some from an older one but I broke one of them. Both machine show to use the same pads.

jeff1
01-27-2014, 01:30 AM
I think I have narrowed it down to suspension pads

There are two sets on the machine...one curved and one rectangular...

565 Tub wear pads (pkg of 3) Manufacturer Number 285744 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2978)

566 Suspension pad kit Manufacturer Number 285219 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2979)

jeff.

Boman
01-27-2014, 02:53 PM
The top wear pads were still intact. I also removed a good looking setof these from the older one while I was at it.

jeff1
01-28-2014, 01:48 AM
Might as well salvage what you can for reuse.

jeff.

Boman
02-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Back to this machine. Would the pads being worn or missing cause this noise?

jeff1
02-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Would the pads being worn or missing cause this noise?

They would certainly cause a noise.....just not convinced they would give that roar like noise.

jeff.

Boman
02-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Update:

I changed the pads/ Not sure that was the problem as one of them was like in two pieces. But, before there were two missing.
I had scrapped this machine. Then I decided to change the tanny. While I had the inner tub removed, I noticed what I guess to be a filter. This plastic filter looked to have some broken pieces in it that should have grabbed onto something. As it was, it was just kinda floating with no way of being anchored.

Also, I tilted the machine back on its back. When I raised back upright, I noticed the tranny was oily. I decided to change the tranny with one that did not get oily even when I tilted it.

Not sure if it was the filter ( I left it out ) or the tranny, or both, but, it runs quiet now. Well, plus some agotator dogs that walked a couple of weeks ago when I stepped out of the shop for a few and left a couple of bro's in the shop.
Little paint touchup and it is ready to go.

jeff1
02-23-2014, 01:43 AM
While I had the inner tub removed, I noticed what I guess to be a filter. This plastic filter looked to have some broken pieces in it that should have grabbed onto something. As it was, it was just kinda floating with no way of being anchored.

610 *Some* washers have a lint filter ( #12 ) attached to the underneath part of the inner wash basket. If this breaks and starts to fall off, the filter can jam the wash basket from spinning.
The replacement filter are like this...

611 Filter plug kit for inner tub, replaces round filter assembly Manufacturer Number 285868 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=897727)

jeff.

Boman
02-23-2014, 11:03 AM
How necessary are those filter plugs? I only saw one in this machine. It came out. Can I assume it is safe to leave the lint filter out as some machines do not have this piece?

jeff1
02-23-2014, 12:43 PM
The idea is the filters will trap lint and flush it out during the drain out. Safe to leave them off yes as in that won't hurt anything....most lint is caught in the dryer anyways rather than the washer and that is why so many washers no longer have a lint filter in them.

jeff.

Boman
02-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Sorry, I was trying to post a pic. It is resized to 200kb jpg. I am told I exceed my quota by 174 kb. Must be something on this end.

Boman
03-03-2014, 02:03 AM
Happened to notice the tranny I removed from this machine a day or so ago. It had quite a bit of play at the top of the gearbox where the shaft came out. So, I guess a bearing was going out.

jeff1
03-03-2014, 02:20 AM
It had quite a bit of play at the top of the gearbox where the shaft came out. So, I guess a bearing was going out.

Side ways play or up and down play?

jeff.

Boman
03-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Side to side. I am really surprised it didn't make more racket than it did. Looks as though that is where the oil came from when I tilted the machine.

jeff1
03-04-2014, 01:34 AM
A little movement would be normal....shaft has a seal where it exits....

jeff.