PDA

View Full Version : Ice seems to smell and taste bad

toni1595
01-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Hi Jeff,
we seem to have developed an odor problem with our fridge. It is a Crosley Model CRTE217AW3 Manufactured 12/09. When you open up the freezer, there is definitely an odor there and the ice does seem to taste odd. My wife noticed it first, but I do have to agree, there is something about it that isn't right. She says that the freon is leaking out, I said that it can't be that or the cooling would stop after a very short time.

I went and dumped the entire ice cube tray last night and it made some new ice of course, but that seems to be the same as before.

My wife cleaned the fridge out last week and I have changed the ice maker filter within the last couple of months, I think it was around the first of November.

We are trying some coffee grounds today and we also read where apples cut up in sections will help.

I checked the tray in the bottom and that's empty.

Anything else we should be doing? I notice that you sell deodorizers for the freezer and refrigerator, may have to try that I guess.

Thanks

jeff1
01-27-2014, 01:24 AM
Hi,

She says that the freon is leaking out, I said that it can't be that or the cooling would stop after a very short time.

Correct, the cooling would stop....and refrigerant gas is odourless.

we seem to have developed an odor problem with our fridge

What -can- happen is something goes bad or develops an odour....we find it and remove it but the smell permeates the plastic parts and some plastic is porous and the smells enters the plastic and the plastic keeps giving off the smell even after we have removed the original offender. For that type of an issue we suggest cleaning out the inside of the refrigerator and placing piece of bread inside the fresh food section ( 2 a day will do ). Put them inside in the morning and throw them out at night, do this for a week to help eliminate the smell. Bread is great for absorbing odours.

Not so common odour trouble makers...
- gookus in the defrost condensate tray
- something fallen onto the defrost heating element
- failing fan motor can give a burning smell ( but we would normally eventually loose the cooling )

Once the odour is gone or much better, then we use deodorizers to prevent it from coming back.

562 Fridge Aid refrigerator deodorizer Manufacturer Number 78956 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=597)

563 Deodorizer Specifically for your freezer. Keeps ice tasting fresh. Manufacturer Number 4392894SRB (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1543455)

jeff.