PDA

View Full Version : GE dryer elements

Boman
01-31-2014, 01:44 AM
Model - DDE7500GALAD

These elements are either good or bad, right? No one side going out and causing low heat, right?

This one takes a while to heat up, and it onlt gets to about 120 maybe a little more. I gave ambient temp consideration, but I have another GE and a Kenmore about the same age in the same shop and same ambient temp that gets up to normal heat and cycles off.

Maybe I need to do a little more in depth cleaning on this one?

This seal is only the felt going around the front of the drum, right?
How much up and down play should there be at the front of the drum? It is almost like it is drawing cool air in at thew front.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Gasket-Seal/WE9X30/277147

jeff1
01-31-2014, 01:58 AM
These elements are either good or bad, right?

Mostly yes. Some might sag and ground out.

No one side going out and causing low heat, right?

The GE dryer element is 2 small elements, both come on for regular or high heat and one can break or burn out and the other can still work giving lower heat.

573 Heating element kit, includes two coils and hardware, 240 volts Manufacturer Number WE11X260 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=3423)

Maybe I need to do a little more in depth cleaning on this one?

Back of the drum and fan blower area are common for lint build ups.

jeff.

Boman
01-31-2014, 12:28 PM
May have to revisit the blower area. I think one of the elements must be bad. That is what it acts like. That or drawing cool air past the seal. I didn't know for sure the elements would do that.

Thanks.

jeff1
01-31-2014, 02:42 PM
Keep us posted.

This seal is only the felt going around the front of the drum, right?

Yes.

How much up and down play should there be at the front of the drum?

Lots, drum sits on glides that ride on the outside of the drum.

jeff.

Boman
01-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Ditto on the glides, just didn't know how much play should be in the drum. Seems like a weak point in design to me.

Btw, the inside element is bad.

Glad I bought a little cheap analog multimeter a while back, my digital seems to act up in cold weather. I guess the battery is stressing in it. I brought it in the house, and it seems to be okay. I know cold can be hard on batteries. Glad my cordless does not seem affected.

May be the brand of battery I have in the meter.

Btw, the two elements on another dryer I plan to put on this one gave two different readings on the analog meter, but they did both show continuity. Normal?
Struck me as strange. The complaint on this dryer (parts dryer) was NO heat when I got it.

jeff1
02-01-2014, 02:14 AM
the two elements on another dryer I plan to put on this one gave two different readings on the analog meter, but they did both show continuity. Normal?

They should be the same....or at least very close to the same.

jeff.

Boman
02-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Hmm, maybe I need to clean the spot off real good I am checking at. It will be easier to deal with when I get the drum out of the way.

Should know more today.

Was sort of hoping I could just swap housing and all out, but the housings show different part numbers. :(

jeff1
02-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Model - DDE7500GALAD

That is a very old style.....won't be like any of the new(er) GE dryers at all.

It will be easier to deal with when I get the drum out of the way.

That is the best way to inspect a GE dryer element.

jeff.

Boman
02-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Was only a few ohms difference. Switched elements from another old dryer that showed to have the same part number for the element. It has a new owner.

jeff1
02-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Was only a few ohms difference

That should be ok :)

jeff.