PDA

View Full Version : ge washer motor humming

Boman
02-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Model - WJRR4170G1
Serial - GR158527G

This thing will only hum when it fills with water. It does pump the water out. When it is time for motor itself to work, it only hums. No agitate or spinning.

I looked at the schematic but am pretty much lost as I cannot read that small printing. The lid switch had been bypassed.

If it was as simple as the motor needing reset, it would not hum, correct?

Capacitor?

jeff1
02-02-2014, 03:38 PM
This thing will only hum when it fills with water. It does pump the water out. When it is time for motor itself to work, it only hums. No agitate or spinning.

Seperate drain pump for draining only.

Slip the belt off, same effect?

Any light flashes on the motor?

jeff.

Boman
02-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Will update as soon as I can.

Thanks.

thefixer
02-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Just rotate the large pulley by hand. If not jammed, then motor/inverter is likely bad. You can check for proper voltages from timer to confirm. This chart gives voltages for various modes, LA (low agitate) HA (high agitate)...etc. C2 is leftmost plug on inverter (wht/red wire) and C4 is rightmost plug, pins 1-5 left to right (nothing on pin 1). If voltages are correct, then motor/inverter is bad. Here is tech sheet in pdf so you can zoom in and read it better. Oh well, can't upload it as it's 1.49Mb

Eric

http://home.comcast.net/~fairbank56/GEinvertertest.jpg

Boman
02-03-2014, 12:21 AM
I appreciate that. I have a couple of magnifying glasses I might use to read the diagram/schematic tomorrow.

I did reach in and turned the motor pulley today with no problem. Looked like the tub turned a little with very little effort turning the motor pulley.

Boman
02-03-2014, 12:34 AM
From appliancerepair.net

SYMPTOM: MOTOR STARTING PROBLEMS AND / OR BLEACH LEAK

Another problem experienced with these washing fmachines is with a bleach dispenser / hose installed only on two-speed machines. Besides the fact that bleach is very hard on plastic and rubber parts, such as the hose itself, the hose chafes on one of the suspension rods until a hole develops. (Figure FA-3) Bleach then dribbles out and directly onto the drive motor connectors. The symptom is that the drive motor hums and will not start. There is a replacement wiring harness available; try that first. If the drive motor still won't start, it may need to be replaced. See section 6-4. Incidentally, you won't see this except in the earliest models; when this problem started showing up, GE quickly redesigned the bleach dispenser hose routing.

This may be something to check also. That being said, this one may not go back far enough. It appears to be 1996 or 2008. I'm thinking 2008.

jeff1
02-03-2014, 01:45 AM
If not jammed, then motor/inverter is likely bad

Most fault codes or issues on this machine comes back as "replace the motor/inverter". :eek:

jeff.

thefixer
02-03-2014, 02:07 AM
SYMPTOM: MOTOR STARTING PROBLEMS AND / OR BLEACH LEAK

Another problem experienced with these washing fmachines is with a bleach dispenser / hose installed only on two-speed machines.

This may be something to check also. That being said, this one may not go back far enough. It appears to be 1996 or 2008. I'm thinking 2008.

The machine your working on is a Hydrowave model. They came out in 2006. The leaking bleach hose problem pertains to early models of the older T models that have transmissions and single phase two-speed induction motors. The Hydrowave models use a three phase dc PWM motor and has no transmission.

Boman
02-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Hydrowave? I thought hydrowaves all had the short agitator/wash plate.

thefixer
02-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Some have the traditional agitator, some have the wash plate. Hydrowave refers to the technology. Slow long arc movement of the agitator/wash plate without using a transmission, vs the older T style with fast short arc movement using a transmission.

Boman
02-04-2014, 12:00 AM
I see...sorta.

Anyway sort of an update on this machine. When I tried to get power readings, my digital would get readings like .4 ac volts, 1.7, etc. Thinking my meter might not be acurate in the cold, I tried the analog. it wouldn't even register a reading. I then noticed it is not the motor humming. It is something else. Maybe it is the pump while it is pumping, but it sounds like something higher up. First one of these I have come across that I had a problem with. It is different from what I am used to dealing with for sure.

Can't understand the partial readings (if my meter is working properly).

Guess I may have a parts machine.

Didn't even think to look for a flashing light at the motor when I applied power.

jeff1
02-04-2014, 01:35 AM
Didn't even think to look for a flashing light at the motor when I applied power.

Check for that and then see here (http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/GE-washer-repair.html).

jeff.

Boman
02-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Thanks for that link, Jeff. I do have a question when though. When checking these flashes, do I need to let the washer fill, attach a hose to the wl switch and blow into it to close the switch? Do I check for different flashes in different settings?

P.S. Where do I find the fuse kit? I see in a diagram, but it only shows what looks like a small envelope. Where do I find the fuse link itself?

jeff1
02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
When checking these flashes, do I need to let the washer fill

Not always no, sometimes yes. Many will give you a code when you try to run the unit.

attach a hose to the wl switch and blow into it to close the switch?

Nope.

Where do I find the fuse kit? I see in a diagram, but it only shows what looks like a small envelope. Where do I find the fuse link itself?

In the wire harness, normally in the neutral side of the motor.

jeff.

Boman
02-14-2014, 11:51 PM
The fuse was bad. I replaced it with a used fuse kit. I was a little concerned as
to why the fuse was blown and halfway expected it to blow the replacement. It did not. I guess maybe something got hung in the pump or between the inner and outer tub causing an uptick in amperage and blew the fuse. Ran several cycles with today. Starts a little slow almost like it is sensing what it needs to do then takes off.
Also seems to take oit its time about cutting off when you push the timer knob in almost like it does not want to stop.

Normal?

jeff1
02-15-2014, 01:23 AM
Starts a little slow almost like it is sensing what it needs to do then takes off.
Also seems to take oit its time about cutting off when you push the timer knob in almost like it does not want to stop.

Normal?

For the most part yes. Drive motor will change speed, movements depending on what is needed.

jeff.

thefixer
02-15-2014, 03:06 PM
The fuse was bad. I replaced it with a used fuse kit. I was a little concerned as
to why the fuse was blown and halfway expected it to blow the replacement. It did not. I guess maybe something got hung in the pump

Drain pump is not in the fused circuit, the fuse only protects the motor/inverter.

Boman
02-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Hmm, what do you think may have caused the fuse to blow? I sold this thing today. I had run it several loads yesterday and was hoping it would be okay.

jeff1
02-16-2014, 02:06 AM
Hopefully just a weak fuse.....newer models don't have the fuse.....possible the poor or slow drain and the washer tried a spin with clothes and water in the tub?!?

jeff.