PDA

View Full Version : faulty dryer blower wheels

Boman
02-03-2014, 12:51 PM
What are the odds that a faulty blower wheel that comes off and jams in the housing might cause a fire?

The reason I ask is, I advised someone that this problem would have to seen to. They had said the "fan" had to be tightened a few times but was not really a big issue. I felt compelled to give my thoughts on this for liability reasons.

I don't think a fire is likely but possible. I would hope the motor would shut down before it overheated or got the wires too hot by pulling excess amperage?

If I bought it, I would have to disassemble it and find the problem and correct it for liability/warranty reasons in order to resell it. Not sure I want it not knowing if the motor has had any damage due to the wheel getting loose.

Comments?

jeff1
02-03-2014, 04:07 PM
What kind/make of dryer?

Shouldn't cause a fire, but possible with no air flow. Heat should cycle off on the safety thermostat with no air flow.

jeff.

Boman
02-04-2014, 01:15 PM
I never did ask what brand it was. I got this in a response to an ad I saw on CL. I thought it not likely but possible. If it got jammed, the motor should shut off, right?

jeff1
02-04-2014, 04:20 PM
It should shut off once the safety/thermal switch in the motor tripped.

jeff.