PDA

View Full Version : motor pulley

Boman
02-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Any trick to removing the screw on type motor pulleys without doing ruining them? Heat?

2200376 is the part number for the one I am talking about I think. It is on a Maytag dryer motor. I think I have the same setup on a Whrlpl dryer. Best just to change motor and pulley?

One reason I consider this is I have to wonder why this one is stripped. It is like something was going on and someone, in trying to fix some sort of problem, tried to remove the pulley for some reason, and if so, tried unscrewing the wrong way and stripped it. The threads on the motor shaft look good.

Boman
02-06-2014, 01:27 AM
I think what I am going to do is take the motor complete with pulley off the parts whlpl and put it on the Maytag rather than chance damaging a motor trying to remove the pulley for now. I do not really even know if the motor on the Maytag is good. I do know it runs, not sure how it would do with a load on it.

I thought maybe someone had tried to remove the pulley and ruined it, but there is no damage to the pulley except for the bad threads.

jeff1
02-06-2014, 01:36 AM
2200376 is the part number for the one I am talking about I think. It is on a Maytag dryer motor. I think I have the same setup on a Whrlpl dryer. Best just to change motor and pulley?

Comes together...can check with a model# if the pulley comes seperate...

582 Drive motor assembly with pulley Manufacturer Number 2200376 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=948442)

but there is no damage to the pulley except for the bad threads.

The "threads" the part where the belt rides on?...if yes, could chew up belts if the pulley grooves are damaged.

jeff.

Boman
02-06-2014, 12:38 PM
I did find the pulley separate at ....$24. :(

The threads on the inside of the pulley are stripped. The belt threads do look a little rough.
Like I said, I'll swap ther motor and all out with the whlpl. Keep this motor and somewhere I may come across a bad motor I might try a little heat if necessary to remove the pulley without worrying about damaging the motor.

On the subject of pulleys, I also tried to remove one with an allan head set screw. Didn't get it off either.

Boman
02-06-2014, 05:06 PM
I may not be able to swap these things out. The parts show to have different numbers on them. But, from what I could see, the whlpl has the same type pulley. Will know more when I take it apart and see what the wheel looks like I guess.

jeff1
02-07-2014, 01:47 AM
I might try a little heat if necessary to remove the pulley without worrying about damaging the motor.

Probably a good idea...just make sure the pulley is not aluminum ( might melt ).

On the subject of pulleys, I also tried to remove one with an allan head set screw. Didn't get it off either.

The older Dependable Care Maytag dryer motor pulleys could be a "bitch" to get the set screw out. Try taping on the allen wrench, tightening it a bit before trying to remove it....and if all else fails try the heat.

jeff.

Boman
02-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Well, I have two motors, one with the pulley still on it. This motor was removed from an Estate dryer. But the motors have two different part and model numbers. I haven't been able to find any info as to whether they will interchange.

The Estate is model S58NXMZK-6925
The Maytag is model S58NXMZD-6964

The motors are very simialr with the same number of wires in what looks like the same positions. Maybe the threads are reversed on the motor shafts since the face opposite directions?

Can I install a helicoil in this pulley, or is it too thin? I'm thinking since both ends are open, I could tap from the outer end and insert the helicoil from that end to have reversed threads on the end that screws onto the shaft.

Btw, found the pulley at one local supplier for like $40! Well, not local since it burned. Have to order from their Madison location. Actually, that is the retail price, so it wouldn't cost that much. Still not cheap though.

jeff1
02-08-2014, 02:29 AM
S58NXMZD-6964

An Amana built dryer...
584 Drive motor assembly with pulley Manufacturer Number 2200376 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=948442)

S58NXMZK-6925

585 Motor, dryer drum drive with pulley for belt Manufacturer Number 279827 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2584)

2 different motors, different shafts....appears the motors are different directions.

Can I install a helicoil in this pulley, or is it too thin?

I have not used one before.

jeff.

Boman
02-28-2014, 01:15 AM
I went ahead and ordered the pulley after being told by the seller their supplier said it would work on this model. I put it on by hand today just to see if it was going to fit. So far, so good. I'll put this baby back together tomorrow and give it a shot.

Btw, the pulley was like $6.50 shipped to my house. Glad to get it.

jeff1
02-28-2014, 01:49 AM
Good deal :)

jeff.