PDA

View Full Version : Leaking tub?

Boman
02-13-2014, 12:20 PM
If you were changing the coupler on a Kenmore washer model 110.28802890, and got black grease off the top of the transmission, wouldn't you assume there is a tub leak letting water drain into the transmission causing the transmission oil/grease to overflow?

This thing was making a little noise. I decided to check the coupler. It didn't seem very loose but did have a little wear. The new coupler solved the noise problem.

Seems like I remember a little grease when I put the new agitator dogs in it too. There is no sign of grease in the tub...yet.

Times like this make you miss the parts house where you can just go down the road maybe a mile and get a part. Hope Nathan and or his dad plan to rebuild.

jeff1
02-13-2014, 01:07 PM
got black grease off the top of the transmission, wouldn't you assume there is a tub leak letting water drain into the transmission causing the transmission oil/grease to overflow?

Nope.
Tranny can leak all on it's own.
For sure a seal can let go and weep water into the tranny and displace the oil.

There is no sign of grease in the tub...yet.

Good.

jeff.

Boman
02-13-2014, 01:21 PM
I guess this seal is not sold separately?

It being black, I at first thought it was clutch or brake dust maybe, some debris from the coupler, but it feels greasy. Not sure about selling this thing now.
Boy, when it rains, it pours sometimes.

I hope to recheck it for water leaks today.
I thought it looked a little rusty on the bottom of the transmission and on the motor and pump clips when I first looked at it. If it is leaking, it might explain this.

Dang thing looks good and works as it should.

jeff1
02-13-2014, 04:05 PM
I thought it looked a little rusty on the bottom of the transmission and on the motor and pump clips when I first looked at it. If it is leaking, it might explain this.

That often is the dampness from a damp cement basement floor.

Most things are available...

jeff.

Boman
02-14-2014, 11:25 AM
So those parts in the diagram CAN be bought separately?

I did think of damp environment when I first looked at this machine.
I checked it again and compared the top of the transmission to another I had out. It appears this was a real fine dust that might come from the brake or clutch pads. I sold it with a warranty.

jeff1
02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
So those parts in the diagram CAN be bought separately?

For the most part yes.

jeff.