PDA

View Full Version : GE auto heat

Boman
02-19-2014, 12:15 AM
Model - DDE7200SBLAA

I set his thing on "auto high heat" to dry like 5 towels. I let it run for over an hour in auto. The timer finally did advance about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way to off. But the towels were very dry way before that.

The stat on this dryer does not have the heater on it that I can tell. I was busy doing other things while watching this machine, and am not sure it ever cycled on and off. It was relatively warm here today (60's).

How does auto work on this dryer, and does the resistor play a part? This one is rated at 3770 ohms. I get like 3.75 with the digital set at 20,000 ohms.

This is not the first dryer lately that seemed very slow to get to "off" in auto. I can't see the advantage of this feature if these things have to run that long.

Thanks

Boman
02-19-2014, 01:03 AM
Not sure what happened to the title. Should be 'GE auto heat'.

Anyway, after doing a little research, I think maybe I need to change the safety/working stat. Am I on the right track. It acts as if the power is not being shut off and sending the power to the resistor then to the timer. If I am understanding this correctly.

I need to watch the temp and make sure it is getting hot enough to cycle off, I guess.

jeff1
02-19-2014, 01:43 AM
I need to watch the temp and make sure it is getting hot enough to cycle off, I guess.

A good idea!

The AUTO cycle is a little different. The operating thermostat cycles off and the power is redirected to the timer motor to advance the timer to the off position. There is no power to the timer motor until the thermostat cycles the heat off and then that power is directed to the timer motor. Auto cycle needs the customer to try different setting ( closer to min, closer to max, second line, etc ) and once they find the perfect spot for their type and size of loads you can always set the auto setting there and the dryer should shut off and the clothes are dry.

How does auto work on this dryer, and does the resistor play a part?

One ones with a resistor, the 220 volts is directed to the timer motor when the heat cycles off, the resistor shunts or lowers the power to the 120 volts to run the timer motor.

jeff.

thefixer
02-19-2014, 03:25 AM
Check your tech sheet, this dryer has 5 thermostats (2 safey, 3 operating (none biased)). In high heat, the low drum outlet thermostat is bypassed and both heat elements and timer are cycled by high drum outlet thermostat with one heat element also cycled by drum inlet thermostat. This dryer does not have any moisture sensor so as Jeff says, you need to learn where to place your timer in auto dry.

Eric