PDA

View Full Version : Dryers "just quit"

Boman
02-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Lately, I have gotten a couple of dryers as trade-ins that the owners say just quit.
I have not pinned them down as to what exactly that means. Quit heating and quit running? I know they say they quit heating and thought maybe they needed elements.

I get them, plug them up, turn them on. They run and heat. Anyway, I disassemble and clean them pretty thoroughly. They seem to run and heat fine. I let them run a little to see if the motor is overheating by some chance and to make sure the timers advance.

I suspect the dryers being full of lint and maybe the exhaust vents at their homes being clogged are making the dryers get too hot and the cycling stat is cycling the heat off.

That and or the power is not right at the dryer power block. I do advise people on these things
Make sense?

jeff1
02-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Make sense?

I have gotten a couple of dryers as trade-ins that the owners say just quit.
I have not pinned them down as to what exactly that means. Quit heating and quit running?

Getting the correct info can be very difficult! Quit right away, middle of a cycle, after 3 loads, etc, etc.

jeff.

Boman
02-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Dang, kinda puts me in a pickle. I can't afford to run each and everyone of them over and over for 2 or 3 hours.

Guess I need to learn more about reading resistance in windings and such.

Lately, it seems the more I work with these things, the more I realize, I know very little about them past very elementary things that go bad.

Could you give a diagnosis for each scenario you called off?

I assume it would involve weak stats, bad motor, or bad timer. There are other possibilities, I think. My extention I use for 220 appliances will sometimes kill the power if it bumped, and I have to push the blades back in the plug.
THanks.

jeff1
02-22-2014, 04:58 PM
I can't afford to run each and everyone of them over and over for 2 or 3 hours.

Sometimes you can't afford not to....checking all cycles on a washer, all cycles on a dryer.....washing some towels in a washer to check spin, drying those towels in the dryer, etc.

jeff.

Boman
02-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Yeah, you got a point when dealing with used appliances.
I do have a few towels I keep in the shop I use to test things sometimes.