PDA

View Full Version : GE Dryer Start Switch?

Dean
02-22-2014, 06:31 PM
I have an electric GE dryer with a rotary start switch. The switch is held in place by a pair of plastic tabs. Someone tried to use needle nose pliers to turn the switch when the knob fell off, and broke both of the little plastic tabs, so the switch no longer stays in place. A new like for like won't help me, as it wouldn't stay in place any better than the one I have, so, I got the bright idea to install a basic double pole momentary switch, which I assumed this one is. It sure acts like one. I went to the electrical store, bought a momentary toggle switch, and as long as I hold the toggle in position, the dryer runs. As soon as I release the switch it shuts off, so obviously I got that wrong. What type of switch is this? Thanks in advance.

thefixer
02-22-2014, 11:18 PM
What's the model number of the dryer?

jeff1
02-23-2014, 01:37 AM
Hi,

http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php Some model# helps.

and as long as I hold the toggle in position, the dryer runs. As soon as I release the switch it shuts off

Is the drum turning?

jeff.

Dean
02-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Model Number: DBXR463EG1WW. Yes the drum turns, motor runs, heaters work. Thinking I had used the wrong type of switch, for testing purposes, I went back to the original switch. Same result. I've read about the possibility of bad run windings on the motor. How do you identify the run vs. start winding, and how to test? The motor is a GE 5KH26GJ116T.

jeff1
02-23-2014, 12:54 PM
It is a momentary style switch....see attached.

612 Rotary start switch Manufacturer Number WE4M519 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1811221)

Check the belt broken switch, if the dryer thinks the belt is broken the dryer will start when you turn the start switch but shut right back off whe nyou let go of the start switch.

I've read about the possibility of bad run windings on the motor. How do you identify the run vs. start winding, and how to test?

We will go there if needed..check the belt switch/arm first.

jeff.

Dean
02-23-2014, 01:20 PM
With button pushed belt idler switch is closed, with idler arm down, (normal position when belt is on) it is open. Is this correct? I listened for the centrifugal switch. It is pulling in. I need to correct myself too. I gave bad info in my last post. The heater coils are not coming on. (thermo high limit is okay, at least it isn't open). Wonder of wonders, the schematic you posted was still tucked away behind the control panel.

jeff1
02-23-2014, 04:10 PM
The belt broken switch should be closed ( continuity ) when the belt is installed and open ( no continuity ) when the belt is off or broken.

The heater coils are not coming on.

The heat is no longer working?

Yes the drum turns, motor runs, heaters work

jeff.

Dean
02-23-2014, 05:26 PM
I thought the heater coils were working, but they definitely aren't now. That's weird about the idler switch. It is acting backward from how it should. All that said, I have been helping my buddy with this, and his wife just went out to buy a new dryer, so I guess I'm done. :) Thanks for your help in any case. I learned a bit about dryers at least.

jeff1
02-24-2014, 12:20 AM
his wife just went out to buy a new dryer, so I guess I'm done

Crap ;)
Maybe they will give you the dryer so you can finish the repairs.

jeff.

Dean
02-24-2014, 01:24 AM
No, but I did harvest the door switch, and the momentary switch. I'm a bit of a diy hobbiest, so at least part of the dryer will live on.