PDA

View Full Version : Mice in electric stoves?

Boman
03-04-2014, 01:43 PM
How do you deal with an electrical stove that has had a mouse or mice in it that left a few droppings (visible). It is my understanding that mice leave a trail of urine where ever they go.

Usually, I do not mess with these stoves if I know they have been infested with mice to the extent that they will be very smelly.

I have a very nice stove that is just a few years old. You can see where the door lock mechanism is where a mouse has been. You can also see where it had made little tunnels through the insulation blanket.

I let it self clean for a while hoping the heat might do away with the stench. Seems it did help..some. I also removed some of the insulation that I could reach with pliers.

Is there any way of solving the odor problem?

Not sure I want to go to the trouble of taking this thing apart and possibly still having the problem?

jeff1
03-04-2014, 05:09 PM
New insulation, steam clean the oven liner and cabinet......and some still smelled for us.....once mice are in there you almost have to walk away from it.

jeff.

Boman
03-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Kinda what I thought.

Hmm, might give someone a real good deal on this one. At the same time, I hate to be associated with selling it at any price to an end user.

jeff1
03-05-2014, 01:00 AM
At the same time, I hate to be associated with selling it at any price to an end user.

Yupper, you also have to sleep at night!

jeff.

Boman
03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Oh, if I was to sell it, I would definitely be upfront about the reason why the price would be reduced.

I have used crumbled up newspaper to remove bad odors from a fridge before with good results. Might be something to think about, but I pretty much think the blanket will still need to be replaced. That looks a little involved with this stove for the money that it will bring.

jeff1
03-06-2014, 04:10 PM
but I pretty much think the blanket will still need to be replaced.

Yupper, high temp insulation.

That looks a little involved with this stove for the money that it will bring.

Odds are not worth the time and trouble....JMO!

jeff.

Boman
03-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Got a call today for a stove. Said I didn't have any ....except.

Sold it with full disclosure. Had to spend a little time replacing the handle I let get broken. I fired it up, and it didn't really stink the shop up like I thought it would. But I could still smell it when I got close to it.

I did set it to clean a few days ago and let heat up for a while. Might have helped ......some.

jeff1
03-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Shoulda sold it with a nose plug....

jeff.

Boman
03-07-2014, 02:37 AM
LOL! Might have been a good idea. Guy just lives a few blocks away. Hopefully the wind will be in my favor when he cooks! :D

jeff1
03-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Hopefully the wind will be in my favor when he cooks!

LOL!
*I* wouldn't be that lucky, hope you are.

jeff.