PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Admiral

Boman
03-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Admiral washer
Model - ATW4475VQ0
Serial # - CY2231787

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiZO08YWsVc&feature=youtu.be

Came out of a nail salon. Don't know what they use, but I cleaned quite a bit of some kind of hard setting gel from the basket, tub and tube. Still noisy.

Sorry, no visual. I mainly wanted the sound recorded, so I went ahead and recorded late in front of the shop outside.

Hoping not too expensive to fix. If I am correct, this was manufactured in May of 2009.

Suggestions? Comments?

jeff1
03-08-2014, 01:43 AM
Check for something in the drain pump.
Check drive block.
Check motor coupler.

Tough to tell what the machine was doing ( agitating, spinning, filling ) without a visual.

jeff.

Boman
03-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Checked all 3. Actually not sure about the pump. I will take it off the motor and see if it still makes the noise. It felt a little stiff turning it by hand, but I have not taken the hoses off and turned the propeller itself yet. I expect it to be a little stiff from the stuff I cleaned from outside of the basket and the outer tub.

In the video, it is agitating until I say I am turning it to spin.

I will listen to it again and see where the timer is when I put it into spin.

It fills and is agitating up to about 1 min 12 seconds when I put it on spin. It makes a metallic like bumping/tabbing sound while agitating as if something is loose or worn. Then it makes worn gear grinding sound in spin. At first I thought the spin grind sounded like plastic but not sure, might be a worn metal gear?

Anyway, I will try to get another video up today so we won't be completely....in the dark.

jeff1
03-08-2014, 01:28 PM
so we won't be completely....in the dark

Good.

jeff.

Boman
03-08-2014, 11:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmNpvgH1st8

This agitate with the pump attached. It made no difference with the pump off. A lower load of water did seem to be quieter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2haeiOWjofk

This is the spin cycle.

Is this supposed to be a neutral drain machine? I assume that means the water should drain before spin begins? If so, could it be I was moving the dial too far to put it in spin mode?

jeff1
03-09-2014, 01:26 AM
That agitator doesn't appear to be moving correctly....looked too quick on the upper 1/2 when agitating and in spin the upper 1/2 appears to be moving around while the bottom 1/2 wasn't...maybe an optical illusion?
Place a long screwdriver against the tranny body, put your ear on the handle part of the screw driver and listen to see if you can hear the noise more clearly ( using the screwdriver an an stethoscope )

jeff.

Boman
03-09-2014, 01:35 AM
Hear you about the stethoscope. I will see if can come up with one long enough.

The agitator seems to do fine. In fact when I first turned it on with a small load, it was slinging water over the top.

Is it me or did it seem to take a while to get to top speed in spin? If it got to top speed?

This is worse with the large load of water in it.

Should this washer pump the water out before it spins?

P.S. I think it may be an optical allusion as the bottom have seems to reverse directions at one point. Is this one that the agitator just goes along for the ride in spin? Is that what is meant by neutral drain?

jeff1
03-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Should this washer pump the water out before it spins?

When let go on it's own, yes.

Is this one that the agitator just goes along for the ride in spin? Is that what is meant by neutral drain?

Yes. Nope.

Neutral drain is it will drain the water our first while the tranny is in neutral....motor stops/pauses and then the tranny switches into spin mode when the motor starts back up again.

jeff.

Boman
03-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Replaced the transmission. Good to go now.
The transmission in it looked like the shaft had slipped upward from the bottom of the gear case.

jeff1
03-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Replaced the transmission. Good to go now.

Good :)

jeff.

Boman
03-13-2014, 01:32 PM
looked like the shaft had slipped upward from the bottom of the gear case.

This didn't sound right after I thought about it a little. What I saw that made me think the shaft had shifted up was on the other side of the tranny than the shaft.

I need to take time and study these things more.