PDA

View Full Version : Cabrio lid lock assembly

Boman
03-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Model - WTW5640XW0

Same machine I posted about a while back with the spin problem. It seems to have an intermittent problem with the lid lock assembly. I caught it not spinning at all. I thought it acted strange at the start of a wash cycle. It was like the timer would count down with no action in the machine. It was just sitting there with the "sense" light on. It did finally let some water in and did wash, but it would not spin.

I removed the assembly. Anyway to bypass this lid lock assembly? How do I check it? It has 4 wires. 2 for the lock, other ones for the lid switch?

thefixer
03-12-2014, 02:57 PM
You can't bypass the switch because the control board cycles the switch to test it's operation. You can make a test cable to operate the switch and then check continuity on the two sets of contacts. Plug test cable into yellow and white wire sockets. To operate switch, very quickly, plug/unplug the AC plug. DO NOT leave it plugged in or you will burn up the solenoid coil. The solenoid only recieves a very brief pulse of AC to operate. With switch in one position, both contacts are open, in other position, lock switch is closed. In closed position, you should have continuity between red and white (lock switch). You will need to use a magnet to operate the lid switch and then check continuity between blue and white.

http://home.comcast.net/~fairbank56/lidlock1.jpg

Boman
03-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks fyxer. I think the lock works. My thinking is there may not be any continuity between blue and white
I had experimented with readings with no power. I have the assembly off and would close and open it manually to see if I got different readings. I think I only got reading from one set of wires regardless if the assembly was open or closed.

Can what you describe be checked by manually working the assembly to open and closed position without using life power? No biggie if not.

Boman
03-12-2014, 04:15 PM
K, tried it with no power, no reading at all. I'm guessing the solonoid has to be briefly energized by live power. But, I was hoping I could get a reading on the lid switch part. Guessing one will not work without the other.

thefixer
03-12-2014, 07:35 PM
You must use a magnet to operate the lid switch. Doesn't matter if the lock is engaged or not but if it's not engaged, you must push the trap over as if the lid strike is in it. You can either use the lid strike (has magnet in it) to operate the lid switch or use any small magnet to do it.

jeff1
03-13-2014, 02:16 AM
Would one of these be a strong enough magnet?

jeff.

Boman
03-13-2014, 01:04 PM
I have the magnet off a GE washer lid switch I use when I am working on machines with magnetic switches with the lids open. As you both know, these things are pretty strong.

I don't know if I was doing it wrong or what, but I couldn't get any readings yesterday. I figured maybe the lock needed that little zap before this testing could be done, since a day or two before I had gotten a reading from one set of wires on the assembly.

I'll give it another shot today.

Thanks

thefixer
03-13-2014, 05:11 PM
I use one of those screwdriver (tweaker) magnets like your photo but the strength of those are all over the map. Mine is very strong but I have others that are very weak. You have to get the magnet in the right place and if assembly is unlocked, you must push the trap over while using the magnet. These lid locks really are a piece of junk.

Boman
03-14-2014, 01:17 AM
Where is the right place to place the magnet?

I do not like these new fangled machines.

jeff1
03-14-2014, 02:22 AM
I use one of those screwdriver (tweaker) magnets like your photo but the strength of those are all over the map. Mine is very strong but I have others that are very weak. You have to get the magnet in the right place and if assembly is unlocked, you must push the trap over while using the magnet. These lid locks really are a piece of junk.

Thankx.
Most of my screwdriver ones are a very weak magnet.....I have one of those expandable ones that is very strong ( the kind you need to pick up that dropped screw that always finds the middle of the appliance once it hits the floor! ).

jeff.

Boman
03-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Okay, I placed my magnet just to one side of the spring then closed the lock. Got a reading between blue and white. The probe does have a magnet in it. Now what???

Maybe it is intermittent?

Boman
03-20-2014, 01:52 AM
Put this thing back on the washer today. The lock would close, but almost as soon as it sounded like it was trying to work, it would unlock and sit there. I think it was sitting in the 'sense' mode and do nothing. I would kill the power and hit start again. Lock would activate, there would be a start up sound then the lock would unlock. From what I could see, the solenoid in the assembly was working. Clicking at least.

A few days ago, it would wash. now, it won't even do that.

Is the actuator supposed to just dangle until the lid is closed?

How to tell if the lock assembly or the board is bad?

I should add, that whatever the magnet I used was attracted to seemed to have slipped or fallen out as there was not as much pull.

thefixer
03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Get the tech sheet out and go into service mode to do some diagnostic checks and error code checks. I think your barking up the wrong tree. The problem is more likely the shift actuator.

Boman
03-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks Fixer. I'll see if I can check that out.

jeff1
03-21-2014, 02:21 AM
Have heard of this causing noises and such but not seen myself...

654 Shift Actuator (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1719787)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YVjTY-Hj4jw

jeff.

Boman
03-21-2014, 01:16 PM
I read somewhere on line to check brn and white wire coming from the actuator to the control panel. This one does have a brn and white where it is suggested. If I remember correctly, the only white in that location is white and some other color.

I'll keep checking some. I had taken the lid lock assembly apart to. May have messed up, not sure.

This thing is taking up space. 'bout ready to toss it.

jeff1
03-21-2014, 04:26 PM
This thing is taking up space. 'bout ready to toss it.

List it as a boat anchor ;)

jeff.

Boman
03-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Just about what I think of them.

A buddy called me today to see what I thought about some kind washer without an agitator today. Was not a good time to ask me. His friend bought one about a month ago. Not sur what kind it is. He gave like 550 for it, and is offering to take a big loss (about 1/2) on it to get rid of it as his wife wants one with an agitator. Told him I wanted no part of it, but he could probably get his money back. He was talking about getting it to help his friend out.