PDA

View Full Version : Faulty bias

Boman
03-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Frigidaire Dryer
Model - 131553900

The bias heater in the cycling stat does give a good reading. Could this have caused the element to burn out, if it was put in auto and left to run for an extended time?

jeff1
03-18-2014, 12:47 PM

This is a part# for a heating element.

The bias heater in the cycling stat does give a good reading. Could this have caused the element to burn out

Not normally no.

if it was put in auto and left to run for an extended time?

Not normally no.
The bias heater just trips the thermostat a little quicker to give lower heats/temps. If the bias heater in the thermostat fails we just get high heat only.....many people wouldn't even notice.

jeff.

Boman
03-18-2014, 01:37 PM
This is a part# for a heating element.

Oops!
Model - GLER341AS2

The bias does not tell the timer to advance?
From my experience lately, it does not seem to, and imo, has no use at all.
That being said, I thought the bias heater would heat the stat therefore letting the timer advance. In other words, I thought instead of taking 60 min's in time mode, maybe you could dry a shirt in 30 min's in auto and the dryer timer would advance to off saving the energy that the other 30 min's would u$e up. Thinking this, I thought maybe , if left in auto, and the bias was faulty, the dryer might run until someone turned it off.

So what happens if it in auto , bias is bad it is left to run on its own? What tells it when to shut off?

Thanks.

thefixer
03-18-2014, 03:42 PM
In timed dry, power is applied to the timer motor continuously. In auto dry, during the first part of the cycle, it is only applied via the voltage dropping resistor (not the bias resistor) whenever the control thermostat opens. The control thermostat will open/close during the cycle regardless of the bias heater resistor being good or not. In the latter part of the auto dry cycle (last 10 minutes or so), power is applied to the timer motor continuously just as in timed dry.

jeff1
03-18-2014, 04:04 PM
649 Cycling thermostat with bias heater, L140-10F Manufacturer Number 131298300 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=407028)

http://www.applianceaid.com/how-multi-terminal-dryer-thermostats-work.php
http://www.applianceaid.com/how-dryer-thermostats-work.php

The bias does not tell the timer to advance?

Nope.

jeff.

Boman
03-19-2014, 12:51 PM
does give a good reading

I'm guessing you guys know that should have read 'does not give a good reading'.

Not real sure why I stay hung up on this. I think it is something I was told somewhere along the way a long time ago.
So, the the bias heater comes into play only on low heat settings?

I just can't see the purpose of auto setting. I mean is it not supposed to save energy by limiting the time the machine has to work?

thefixer
03-19-2014, 01:54 PM
So, the the bias heater comes into play only on low heat settings?

Yes.

I just can't see the purpose of auto setting. I mean is it not supposed to save energy by limiting the time the machine has to work?

Yes, it can save energy because the machine is determining when the clothes are dry as opposed to the user setting some arbitrary time limit with the timer. Example, user puts some clothes in the machine and sets timer to 40 minutes timed dry when in fact, it might only take 30 minutes to dry them. You've wasted 10 minutes and possibly damaged your clothing by overheating them. In auto dry, the machine determines when the clothes are getting dry and advances the timer accordingly.

Boman
03-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Just read an article on how some auto cycles work. :o

Seen a piece on tv about how loss of sleep can cause 25% loss of brain cells.
Any recommendations on a good sleeping medication?? :rolleyes:

Thanks to both. I now know to make a special effort to check the resistor going to the timer, if there is one.

jeff1
03-19-2014, 04:36 PM
The only reason we have bias heater thermostats is to give different heat temps with one thermostat rather than having 2 or 3 thermostats like older units had.

jeff.