PDA

View Full Version : testing an older oven stat

Boman
03-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Anyway to bench test an older electric stove thermostat?

I recently stripped an old..40 inch GE stove. The plate with the model number on it was gone. I have contemplated selling parts on line.

All I have to identify these parts are the part numbers and a picture of the stove stripped of the burners. push button switches, etc.

This thermostat has the number WB21X5208. From what I have found online, this may be valuable if it is good. The ones online I found also had what looked like U O after the number. No idea what that indicates.

This one does show continuity. It is the one that sets the temp. Is it supposed to be a click or anything when it is turned on or off?

The lowest setting is 200/warm. Am I right in thinking continuity should be constant at room temp or the switch should be normally closed?

jeff1
03-20-2014, 02:17 AM
Ohming it is about all you can do outside of the range.....might be able to stick the capillary tube into another ranges oven to see if the contacts open and close ok when heated.

This thermostat has the number WB21X5208

WB21X5208 is NLA
Suggested replacement is wb21x5209
WB21X5209 is NLA

653 You are not going to find many ranges left with that style control still in it.

jeff.

Boman
03-21-2014, 01:21 AM
I figure the rarity makes it a little high dollar if I determine it is good.

I had thought about placing the tube in another oven.

The selector switch might be a little harder with no schematics to go by.

jeff1
03-21-2014, 02:28 AM
I figure the rarity makes it a little high dollar if I determine it is good

Might.

The selector switch might be a little harder with no schematics to go by

For sure!

jeff.