PDA

View Full Version : new element broke

Boman
03-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Frigidaire dryer model - GLER341AS2

I replaced the element on this dryer. Ran for maybe a couple of minutes. It had started to heat up. I then put it on a no heat setting. It ran with no heat. That being said, the bias on the cycling stat checked to be bad. I was thinking if the bias is bad, how is it doing the no heat thing. Anyway, I noticed the front was not exactly straight. I hit with my hand to knock it over a tad. Heard a strange sound. I think it was the back of the drum hitting the element as it looks like it has happened before.

I took it apart again, and the brand new element was broken near one of the terminal ends with no marks what so ever, just a clean break. No burn marks or anything.

The element I replaced was also broken. I had sold this dryer about 3 weeks before. The complaint was a strange noise and it quit heating. LIke I said, it looks as thought the element had scrubbed before.

My question is, does it makes sense the new element would have a clean break with no burn marks if it scrubbed the drum?

P.S. I intend to disassemble again to make sure there are no missing pieces allowing the two parts to scrub.

jeff1
03-28-2014, 02:19 AM
That being said, the bias on the cycling stat checked to be bad. I was thinking if the bias is bad, how is it doing the no heat thing.

The bias heater in the thermostat is just for lower temps....won't effect anything else.

does it makes sense the new element would have a clean break with no burn marks if it scrubbed the drum?

Not normally, but stranger things have happened.

What element did you use? The entire cage, just the coil only? It is important to have the coil evenly spread out with no gaps or gatherings as the coil spacing must be even or we can create hot spots and the element will fail quickly.
Certainly sounds like the drum contacted the element, for some reason.

jeff.

Boman
03-28-2014, 01:18 PM
....is just for lower temps

Does it not affect Fluff or no heat cycle?

Anyway, I used just the coil and called myself spacing it correctly. The old one had scrubbed also.

I had taken the old one from another dryer and installed it in this one. I am assuming the noise the buyer mentioned was also that element scrubbing before it broke. There were scrub marks on the drum rear when I installed the new element.

I do intend to go back into it out of curiosity if nothing else and check if all the parts are in that area that are supposed to be. Retainer, ball bearing, etc.

Thanks

jeff1
03-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Does it not affect Fluff or no heat cycle?

Nope.

am assuming the noise the buyer mentioned was also that element scrubbing before it broke. There were scrub marks on the drum rear when I installed the new element.

Cabinet damaged, twisted, drum out of place...

jeff.

Boman
05-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Just reading back on some of these posts. Is it possible the rear bearing/cup and or ball on the back of the dryer was worn enough to let the drum drop just enough to hit the element?

Looks like if the drum itself had sagged from the back, for whatever reason, the element would have scrubbed at the top. I may get a few new parts and try this thing again.

jeff1
05-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Is it possible the rear bearing/cup and or ball on the back of the dryer was worn enough to let the drum drop just enough to hit the element?

Sure, but would have to be badly worn.

jeff.