PDA

View Full Version : Fluff cycle

Boman
04-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Whirlpool dryer
Model - wed55405q0

What should Fluff be on this dryer? No heat? Low heat?

I thought it was faulty in timed cycle as it would stop when it got to Cool Down and or wrinkle guard. Then it would stop for a minute or so then run for about 15 sec's.

No where on this dryer is there a no heat setting. I thought "Fluff" should be a no heat cycle. Is it just supposed to be 10 or 20 degrees cooler?

jeff1
04-02-2014, 01:37 AM
Normally "air fluff" is tumbling with no heat.
I looked at the use and care manual for this model.....**Select the desired Option. See “Dryer Cycle Descriptions”
(separate sheet).**
Of course the -separate sheet- isn't online.

I thought it was faulty in timed cycle as it would stop when it got to Cool Down and or wrinkle guard. Then it would stop for a minute or so then run for about 15 sec's.

(OPTIONAL) Your dryer may have a WRINKLE SHIELD™
feature selector. When you are unable to remove a load from the dryer as soon as it stops, wrinkles can form. This feature periodically tumbles, rearranges and fluffs the load without heat to help smooth out wrinkles.

Looks like the wrinkle shield/gaurd will be the air fluff.

jeff.

Boman
04-03-2014, 12:42 AM
Looks like the wrinkle shield/gaurd will be the air fluff.

Not sure about the air fluff thing on this one. It was more like it would come on for maybe 10 to 15 seconds and cut off. It would do this off and on until the end of the cycle. It made me wonder if it was designed to do this so it would not run long enough to generate much heat instead of just running with no heat. Anytime this dryer ran, there was heat if it ran long enough. The bias checked good. The fluff heat may have been about 10 to 20 degrees cooler, but there was heat.

Had me scratching my head. Still does to some extent.

jeff1
04-03-2014, 02:18 AM
It was more like it would come on for maybe 10 to 15 seconds and cut off. It would do this off and on until the end of the cycle. It made me wonder if it was designed to do this

It is...

This feature periodically tumbles, rearranges and fluffs the load without heat to help smooth out wrinkles.

The fluff heat may have been about 10 to 20 degrees cooler, but there was heat.

Make sure the heating element is not grounded.

jeff.

Boman
04-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Make sure the heating element is not grounded.

Have to make note of that.

Thanks

jeff1
04-05-2014, 01:48 AM
Keep us posted.

jeff.

Boman
04-05-2014, 03:35 PM
This sold before I got your response. I did see the guy later and told him of my concern. He said if he had a problem with it, he would call. I feel now I should have insisted on checking it again.

While we are on this agin, if the element is shorted against the cage, will it heat when the timer is in the on position but the drum and or motor is not turning?

jeff1
04-05-2014, 07:14 PM
While we are on this agin, if the element is shorted against the cage, will it heat when the timer is in the on position but the drum and or motor is not turning?

More often than not, yes.

jeff.

Boman
04-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Hmm, that sounds dangerous! I think I need to call this guy again to see about checking this.

jeff1
04-06-2014, 01:19 PM
It is a good idea to be safe.

jeff.