PDA

View Full Version : kenmore all fridge random cooling

bryanb
05-09-2014, 08:54 PM
I have a 10 yr old Kenmore all-fridge refrigerator model number c675--63696-0k made in Canada.
I am in Canada and the weather is lousy so not exactly summer temps yet :(
It started to not cool as normal a couple weeks ago and compressor runs all the time other than defrost cycle.
It has been in the same alcove since new so location has not changed.
This model does not have a compressor/condenser fan.
If i pull fridge out to give more ambient air flow it will cool as it should and even frost across evap.
I have cleaned all the dust-was not that much.
If fridge is tucked back into it's usual resting place the compressor gets really hot-too hot to touch- but not enough to trip overload, it just seems to become less efficient and maintains about 8-10 C and evap does not frost up. When given more air flow it drops right down to 1-3 C and compressor is no where near as hot and will run like that for days with again, a nice even frost across evap.
When it is running normal the line coming out of compressor to condenser coil is hot and line at end of condenser coil is warm. When it acts up the line coming out of condenser coil is noticeably cooler so i am thinking the compressor is not moving the refrigerant as well as it should.
There is a matching all freezer that sits beside fridge in same alcove and is fine and compressor is not nearly as hot.
Could the compressor be on it's way out? it runs R134.
Wiling to repair as the alternative is buying another matching set as it would look stupid to have two different models beside each other, just hoping for some professional insight.

Thanks,

Bryan

jeff1
05-10-2014, 02:34 AM
Hi,

C675. is WCWoods built Kenmore.
WCWoods is out of business.

Could the compressor be on it's way out?

It sounds like it is going sour yes.
The appliance tech would have to source a replacement compressor as the original part# is likely NLA.

Wiling to repair as the alternative is buying another matching set as it would look stupid to have two different models beside each other, just hoping for some professional insight.

You are probably talking $350-500.00 for the compressor and labour and system supplies.
Whirlpool is now building freezers and refrigerators out of the old Woods factories, maybe they make something new that would match?...worth having a peek also.

jeff.

bryanb
05-10-2014, 04:09 AM
Well that was fast..thanks!
Good to know about whirlpool..this model looks really similar EL88TRRWS but has some pretty bad reviews.
I did find a site that shows all the parts that Woods made and the sub numbers seem to be available through an outfit here in town for about 370.
Not sure about posting websites on this forum so will not bother but a quick search on Wc Wood Upright model #RA1816DW3 might point you in the right direction.
hopefully a couple hours repair time can get me fixed for 500 ish.
Considering the new ones run about 1500 and are crapping out in 3-4 years I may take a chance as both the fridge and freezer are mint other than the compressor. Plus there are no electronics on either of these older ones, just straight mechanical switches which I prefer as I am an electrician and can easily troubleshoot and replace.
Once again Jeff, thanks for the quick response and info.

Bryan

jeff1
05-10-2014, 01:37 PM
As long as parts are available and the cost is not exceeding the replacement cost, I'd fix it also.

jeff.