PDA

View Full Version : Frigidaire dishwasher won't drain.

DeadDireWolf
05-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Hi,

My grandmother has a Frigidaire Gallery Series mdl# GLDB656JS0 dishwasher that's not draining. I checked the drain line and it's not clogged. I cleaned the screen, it was okay.Removed the top house and the impellor looks good. Not clogged either. Impellor spins without trouble. Question - what to check next and how to check it? I don't know if it's direct drive or forward reversing? I have a voltmeter but I don't how to check the motor or timer or what? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

jeff1
05-14-2014, 02:18 AM
Hi,

This unit has 2 motors....one for washing only and one for draining only.

730 Wash one is #70 Drain one is #60

If there is nothing clogging the sump, nothing in the drain hose and nothing in the drain spout at the house plumbing the first thing we would check is power to the drain motor when the drain should be running. 120 volts AC to the drain pump and no draining is occuring and we would change out the drain pump.....some can make noises or even hummmmm but not work.

731 LINK> Drain pump kit (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1565470)

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
05-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Is there a trick to running a meter to this pump? I can see it by removing the bottom access panel but I can hardly get to it. It looks like a recycled water tube off the sump is in the way. It's held in place by two clamps. I can't really see the electrical terminals. What's the best way to to it?

Thanks for any tips.
Chris

jeff1
05-18-2014, 11:55 PM

Wires push onto the two terminals.

Is there a trick to running a meter to this pump?

-Might- be easier with the d/w pulled out a bit.

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
07-08-2014, 08:03 PM
I pulled the dishwasher out and ran a continuity test on the pump. I believe it tested fine. I got a tone indicating continuity when the pump was disconnected from the electrical terminals. I forgot to indicate that the clean light on the front panel never went off when the load was completed and the door was opened. Is there a way to reset the circuit board or is it most likely shot or is there a way to test it or something else that may be wrong?

Many thanks.
Chris

jeff1
07-09-2014, 02:23 AM
I pulled the dishwasher out and ran a continuity test on the pump. I believe it tested fine. I got a tone indicating continuity when the pump was disconnected from the electrical terminals.

But is the pump getting power ( 120 volts AC ) to run? The motor part can show continuity but the mechancial part can still be bad.

I forgot to indicate that the clean light on the front panel never went off when the load was completed and the door was opened.

Odd, door switches been checked? Timer fully in the off position?

Is there a way to reset the circuit board

Model doesn't show a board, shows a mechanical timer.

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
07-12-2014, 04:26 PM
But is the pump getting power ( 120 volts AC ) to run? The motor part can show continuity but the mechancial part can still be bad.

jeff.

Stupid question - You mean just run a ACV test on the 120v wire coming out of the wall, right?

jeff1
07-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Run the volt test right at the pump...

...we would check is power to the drain motor when the drain should be running. 120 volts AC to the drain pump and no draining is occuring and we would change out the drain pump.....some can make noises or even hummmmm but not work.

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
07-13-2014, 04:46 AM
Holy cow. I have no idea how I'm going to get to the pump with it hooked up. There is zero room or clearance. Ok, thanks. I'll figure something out.

jeff1
07-13-2014, 01:03 PM
We just check with the d/w pulled out a bit if needed. Can also disconnect the wires to the pump, pull them forward and test across the 2 wires closer to the front where you can see.
If this job was easy, everybody could do it ;)

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
07-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Right on. :)

I volt tested the drain motor when it called for drain after the rinse cycle. It read 120v and did not eject the water. The motor made an audible hum. No drain.

I therefore installed a new drain kit. Hose, pump, bracket. Repeated a rinse cycle. Still didn't drain. :(

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

jeff1
07-25-2014, 02:31 AM
Check house drain, esp the spout where the drain hose goes onto.....also prime the new pump ( water in both sides ), make sure the drain hose is clipped into the side of the d/w ( bottom right pic ) and retest.

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
07-31-2014, 04:44 PM
House drain is fine. Hose is correct. How do you prime the pump? There is water in the cabinet. Can I put water down the ejection hose so water is on that side of the hose or since the air gap is in the kinked hose do I need to remove the hose and put water directly in the pump by lifting the check valve?

Thanks.
Chris

jeff1
08-01-2014, 02:32 AM
How do you prime the pump?

Pour a pitcher of water inside the d/w, we use to pour some water backwards down the drain hose before reattaching it to the drain spout at the house plumbing.

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
08-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Well, it works. And I'm embarrassed to say how I fixed it. You know how i said the hose wasn't clogged? It wasn't. But the knock out plug from the garbage disposal was never removed. :rolleyes:

The garbage disposal is at least 5 years old. No one ever ran the dishwasher until my sister moved in. I can't believe I missed it. Who would've thought? Mystery solved.

Thanks again for all your help. I learned a few more things this time......

Best,
Chris

jeff1
08-03-2014, 04:35 AM
Glad all is well now :)

jeff.