PDA

View Full Version : GE Dryer DDE5100RALWH Timer

CR500
05-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

I was referred here from selfhelpforums.com.

My dad has the subject dryer with 175d1445G001 timer (I believe the current version of that timer is WE4X788). The dryer recently stopped working. I pulled the fuse (yup house still has an old fuse panel) and one of the two dryer fuses was popped, and the fuse block tab looked overheated. I have a new / used fuse block on the way. I cleaned up the old block and installed new fuses. I measure good voltage at the dryer.

Dryer still won't start. I opened it up and checked the sensors and heaters and checked for shorts and everything looks ok. I pulled the timer and the A & B contacts appeared to be stuck together and maybe some melted plastic stuck to them as well. A & B measured open circuit but I believe it should be 0Ω.

Is there a way I can do a quick bypass test of the timer to ensure that is the problem (or should I say the only problem)? My dad is not well and I need to make a relatively quick decision to fix or buy a new dryer. I was thinking that I could remove the timer and jumper A & B. I'm not sure what to do with the wire from terminal C, I'm thinking that all three should be connected together?

I can scan / post the wiring diagram.

Thanks!

Rob

jeff1
05-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Hi,

I can scan / post the wiring diagram

Sure, that would be a good idea.

The dryer recently stopped working. I pulled the fuse (yup house still has an old fuse panel) and one of the two dryer fuses was popped, and the fuse block tab looked overheated.

Also make sure of that power cord plug/outlet...
http://www.applianceaid.com/dryer-cord-plug-problems.php

jeff.

CR500
05-19-2014, 12:31 AM

Diagram was too big for the scanner so I took a picture. Resolution will allow zooming in. The L1, L2, and N notes were written by me. In looking at the diagram on the right, it seems to indicate Ta, Tb, and Tc are all connected. I looked at the timer and when I spin the dial it does connect the three contacts so I should be able to just jumper the three wires together and hit the start button.

Thanks!

Rob

jeff1
05-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Yes, TB is main, TC is for the motor and TA is for the heat. TB to TC will run the dryer without heat....TB to TC AND TA will run the motor and heat.

739 LINK> Timer assembly (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2145)

jeff.

CR500
05-19-2014, 09:58 PM
I opened the timer, soldered all three contacts together and plugged it in. Everything seems to work ok. Ran it empty for about 3 min and the fuses don't even feel warm. The inside of the dryer is real hot. I don't remember it getting that hot but then again I've never run it when empty. Heating elements have the correct resistance and there feels like adequate flow out the exhaust.

Guess I'll try a new timer and hope it doesn't overheat another fuse.

Thanks

Rob

jeff1
05-20-2014, 01:35 AM
Definetly should replace the timer, if you get a chance let us know how the repair went.

jeff.