PDA

View Full Version : cold control? (Magic Chef)

Boman
07-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Freezer gets way to cold, and this thing runs constantly. Can get the ff section to around 40, but the freezer may be 10 -almost 20 below. Turned the control down to 2, and the thing still runs.

M - GT21Y8FV
S - 11428995MF

If was a stuck damper, it should still cut off when I turn the control down to 1 or 2, right? Seems the only time it cuts off is when I turn the control to OFF.

jeff1
07-15-2014, 02:22 AM
Hi Rick,

I believe the dial on the left is the temp control and one on the right is the air damper.

Double check the frost pattern on the evaporator to make sure it is good and evenly frosted...if ok then yes it would be a good idea to try another control.

784 Temperature control thermostat (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=663365)

If was a stuck damper, it should still cut off when I turn the control down to 1 or 2, right?

Control does sense the air coming from the freezer into the fresh food section.

jeff.

Boman
07-15-2014, 12:10 PM
Yes I believe the one on the left is the control. The one on the right, believed to be the damper, has no resistance when I turn it. It will turn and turn and turn with nothing stopping it either way when I turn it. Does this indicate a broken or disconnected damper or deflector, or whatever this unit has?

Have a control here that looks just like that one, but the numbers are different.

jeff1
07-15-2014, 01:38 PM
has no resistance when I turn it. It will turn and turn and turn with nothing stopping it either way when I turn it.

Something broken.....many of these parts are also NLA :(

Have a control here that looks just like that one, but the numbers are different

Different numbers = different control.

Long rod goes from the knob to the damper.

jeff.

Boman
07-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Ditto on so many parts being nla. I had noticed that.

Ditto on the numbers being different too. I was kinda hoping it was maybe just different length sensor tube that might could be used to at least see if it was the problem.

I had not noticed the rod in the diagrams I had looked at. I was thinking there should be one of some kind.
If the rod is disconnected, does that mean the control might be good?

Guy told me I could return it and he would refund what I paid for it, but I kind of hate to do that. But, it was sold as a good unit.

Update
Checked the freezer control knob and rod. The piece of the knob that is supposed to hold the rod is broken off. So, I'm guessing the rod cannot do its job. I am still a little perplexed as to why the cold control does not cut the compressor and fan off when set to a warmer temp than the fridge is at. That is unless the control IS bad.

Hmm, if the damper is closed, the control can't really get a good reading, right. I mean, maybe it is just sensing the temp in the ff compartment and not the very cold air of the freezer.

jeff1
07-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Prop the damper open 1/2 way and retest.

jeff.

Boman
07-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Yesterday I found the freezer control wheel to be broken at the piece that fits on the rod going to the damper. It had stuck to the rod and had broken. Got the little piece off the rod, and Gorilla glued it back onto the wheel with a piece of a small finishing nail in it for extra support. I drilled this piece of plastic out just a little to clean the gunk a little that had accumulated in it so it could move on the rod. Set both wheels midway. This morning about 7 am, temps are perfect and the fridge is not running.

May have solved the problem.

jeff1
07-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Glad to hear that :)

jeff.