PDA

View Full Version : Heater breaks during transport?

Boman
08-09-2014, 11:30 PM
GE
Model - TFX26GRDA

Is it likely these defrost heaters can be damaged during delivery. Like if the unit gets somewhat of a jar when it comes off the trailer, or if it is jarred when it is stood upright off the dolly?

Complaint seems to be freezing up in the back and ff section not cold. Of course, the freezer itself is not cooling as it should either. I had this thing in my shop at the correct temps for a couple of days, although the control was set low (below midway), more like around 2.

I am wondering if the defrost heater might have gotten broken during the move about a week ago.

jeff1
08-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Is it likely these defrost heaters can be damaged during delivery. Like if the unit gets somewhat of a jar when it comes off the trailer, or if it is jarred when it is stood upright off the dolly?

I would say no....fairly unlikely the heater would be damaged from a jolt or jar.

I am wondering if the defrost heater might have gotten broken during the move about a week ago

Sometimes moving the unit can jar the defrost thermostat to close, and seem to be ok until the next time it sticks open.
Sometimes the defrost timer will advance ok until the refrigerator is unplugged and then when it is plugged back in the timer doesn't start back up again.

jeff.

Boman
08-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Hmm, guess I will remove the back and check the heater and stat. After that, I will take a look at the timer.
I suppose the cold control could be at fault, since it seems I had to set it low to get the temps I wanted. Dang thing is 14 years old,, not sure I want to trust it anymore.

jeff1
08-11-2014, 01:52 AM
guess I will remove the back and check the heater and stat. After that, I will take a look at the timer.

Good plan.

jeff.

Boman
08-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Update:

So far, the df stat and heater are shot. The timer does come out of df on its own. I have not checked to see if it is sending power to the stat and heater. The heater was burned black.

The outlets in the apartment are about worn out. The one for the fridge seems to be tight enough, but I am wondering if some on the same circuit may have cause some arcing and/or surging in the line. I am a little concerned the wiring might have done damage to the fridge. Based on that I told them they could use it a few more days after I manually defrosted it then I was coming to get it and refund their money.

I will then bring it back to my shop to defrost it again and replace the heater and stat and check the frost pattern.

I hope I don't wind up wishing I had checked the pattern first.

Gave them a few days, because I didn't want to leave them without a fridge with a new baby.

jeff1
08-14-2014, 02:19 AM
The outlets in the apartment are about worn out

:(

Home Depot time ;)

The one for the fridge seems to be tight enough, but I am wondering if some on the same circuit may have cause some arcing and/or surging in the line.

Refrigerator outlet is suppose to be on it's own circuit and not with other things.

jeff.

Boman
08-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Thats true, hadn't even thought about that, but I doubt very seriously if that is the case in this old apartment.