PDA

View Full Version : GE sxs frozen up

Boman
08-12-2014, 02:44 AM
GE
Model - TFX26GRDA

So I went to take a look at this thing today. I had mentioned in the other post about having to set the controls on a lo number to get the temps I wanted.

Got over there and someone had set the numbers way up and the freezer was frozen solid. I thought maybe it was because the numbers were set so high. Thought I had better check the stat, heater and timer anyway. The heater does seem to come on. I didn't find the stat. Going back tomorrow to thaw it out and check more closely the stat and heater.

My question today is, is it possible the cold control is shot and let the freezer get too cold thereby encasing the heater in ice and crushing it?

Remember I thought it was odd to set the numbers so low in order to get the temps I wanted (0 and about 37).

I can replace the heater and the df stat. The cold control is a little too much for this sale. May need to cut my losses on this one.

I am trying to avoid replacing the df stat and the heater jsut to find out the cold control is bad and may possibly damage the parts being replaced.

Guess I could take the cc out and bring back to my house and place it in the fridge to somewhat.
check it.

jeff1
08-12-2014, 12:37 PM
is it possible the cold control is shot and let the freezer get too cold thereby encasing the heater in ice and crushing it?

No, not really.

the freezer was frozen solid

The evap was frozen?
Ice or frost?

jeff.

Boman
08-12-2014, 01:53 PM
I think it was mostly frost. Really didn't pay that much attention now that I think about it. It did scrape off easily when I try to scrape it except for the outer part. What does each indicate? It was solid on past a 1/4" or so.

Solid enough to make me wait and defrost it rather than trying to scrape any more to get to the heater and the stat.

jeff1
08-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Frost is definetly easier to clean off than ice is.

jeff.