PDA

View Full Version : Kenmore Coldspot 106.9557611 no longer cooling

Godsprovision
08-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Our Kenmore Coldspot 106.9557611 no longer cooling. It started on the freezer side and now seems to be both. Fridge is at 68F and freezer 66F. The freezer has previously seemingly stopped cooling enough that ice would melt some, etc. It would usually start again shortly after. I looked at some other threads, but not exactly sure if they describe my problem. I am hearing some clicks from time to time. Possibly something trying to kick on. There. I just heard two clicks about five seconds apart with no other sound change. I do hear the fan running. I have water dripping, but I think it is mostly from ice in the freezer not freezing. We use ice trays using Berkey filtered water. No water line is connected to the appliance. The drip pan is empty. Please help.

Godsprovision
08-22-2014, 08:28 PM
UPDATE: I called a local appliance shop who I have bought used appliances from before. I gave them the information above and they had me pull the compressor relay to bring to them in lieu of them visiting for $45 or me bringing the fridge for them to diagnose. They diagnose for free. What I actually pulled is a Supco RCO810 3 n' 1 Start. They recommended I replace this and sold me a Supco RCO410 3 n' 1 Start. I have installed the new unit and am waiting to see if it resolves the issue. So far, the freezer has gone from 70F after being unplugged while I ran to get the part to 55F as of my writing this. That is positive. I will update again.

jeff1
08-23-2014, 05:10 AM
Hi,

I am hearing some clicks from time to time.

That often is a sign the compressor is trying to start....but cannot and clicks off on the overload.

Please do keep us posted.

jeff.

Godsprovision
08-23-2014, 05:54 AM
Hi,

That often is a sign the compressor is trying to start....but cannot and clicks off on the overload.

Please do keep us posted.

jeff.

The fridge and freezer are cooling well. Jake on Appliance Blog said it is not advisable to use a fast start on units made after '95. I do not really see how I have any other choice as the other original components the 3 n' 1 is designed to replace are no longer available to me. I really hope this is a long term solution for us.

Thank you for your response and for having this forum to help people.

Jeremy

Godsprovision
08-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Some pics of the process.

I did have to find a way the mount the 3 n' 1 unit in place to keep it off the floor as it is taller than the previously installed and would not be off the floor just clipped to the compressor.

jeff1
08-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Jake on Appliance Blog said it is not advisable to use a fast start on units made after '95

Correct. On an PTC relay compressor we try not to use the 3-1 style relay as they can damage the compressor.
On some when a part is not available, we may not have a choice.

jeff.

Godsprovision
08-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Correct. On an PTC relay compressor we try not to use the 3-1 style relay as they can damage the compressor.
On some when a part is not available, we may not have a choice.

jeff.

The other pics did not want to upload. I will try again.

It says I have exceeded my quota. That is the jist of it.

jeff1
08-24-2014, 02:40 AM
Thankx for the pics :)

jeff.

Godsprovision
08-25-2014, 05:03 AM
You got it!