PDA

View Full Version : solder contacts?

Boman
08-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Jeff, ever build the contacts on a washer timer up with solder?

Have Magic Chef model w20jn1 that would ot agitate. Went in the timer to find burned contacts. Thought what the heck and build the contacts up with solder then sanded them down a little. Worked like a champ the one time I tried it. Any chance the solder will hold up for a little while? Or, will it burn away the first few times it arcs or the two make contact?

jeff1
08-31-2014, 01:37 AM
I have sanded and adjusted contacts before but never added solder to the contact to build it up. Maybe a good quality silver solder would last better than a lead style solder??
Time will tell, keep us posted to how it works out.

jeff.

Boman
08-31-2014, 11:45 AM
Will do. I kind of figure a few arcs and this will be toast. Guess I will keep it around to wash shop rags and see how it does.

Betting your right about the silver solder. Not either would hold up to much arcing though.

jeff1
08-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Guess I will keep it around to wash shop rags and see how it does

Good idea.

jeff.

chrisb
08-31-2014, 01:32 PM
regular soft solder could melt and weld the two points together.

Boman
08-31-2014, 02:29 PM
regular soft solder could melt and weld the two points together.

That did come to mind and is a very real concern. Part of the reason I thought I would keep it for shop rags. Not sure I would want to leave it running unattended for more than a very few minutes. I think I need to be there at the end of the wash cycle.
Thinking I might try to clip one and graft a piece of another one on for experimental sake.

jeff1
09-01-2014, 02:18 AM
The whole idea of an indexing timer was to prevent arcing of the contacts....but we all know that doesn't always work.

jeff.