PDA

View Full Version : Roper dryer surging?

Boman
09-02-2014, 02:24 AM
Model - red4440vq0

Very small load in this dryer, and I noticed it seems to be surging. Would a small load cause this? I will go in it tomorrow to clean and check things but just curious. Hoping it is not a weak motor

jeff1
09-02-2014, 12:37 PM
surging

??

The sound changes when the clothes are passing the air flow??

jeff.

Boman
09-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Hmm, you think?? Seriously, that makes sense to me with a small load.

jeff1
09-03-2014, 03:34 AM
Try 3 loads, one empty, one with a small load and one with a large load.....see what changes in the sound.

jeff.

Boman
09-05-2014, 01:36 AM
Ran fine empty. I let her go. I hope it does not come back.

Do motors ever get weak and sound they are surging?

jeff1
09-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Do motors ever get weak and sound they are surging?

Weak yes....I don;t thin kI have heard one surging. Growling on start up, squealing, heating up and shuts off, hummmmmming only yes.

jeff.

Boman
09-12-2014, 02:38 AM
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but today I was cleaning a dryer That a guy told me would sometimes take two times to dry a load. Since this surging thing, I pay a little closer attention to the sound of my dryers. I noticed the felt seal on the back of the drum was covered in rust colored powder like substance like they do when they are getting worn down smooth.

I had thought the long drying times may have been the result of a tricky lid switch. Now I wonder if the felt being worn may be causing the surging sound I hear in dryers sometimes.
I blew this red stuff off and re assembled the dryer. It dried 4 pairs of jeans and a few shirts like it should in about 20 or 30 minutes.

Just thought I would toss this out there and get another opinion on the felts wearing out and the affect this might have on the sound and operation of the dryers.

jeff1
09-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Just thought I would toss this out there and get another opinion on the felts wearing out and the affect this might have on the sound and operation of the dryers.

For sure the felt will effect drying and noise...

Quick Info Tips

Q: Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load.
A1: Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.
A2: If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground (http://www.applianceaid.com/grounded-elements-on-electric-dryers.php). Check the exhaust temperature of the dryer. A meat thermometer (http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermometer/60290/2220521) or pocket thermometer (http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermometer/TA48/240173) can be used for this. It should cycle approx between 120 degrees and 160 degrees ( without clothes ). Check that the drum seals are not worn out.

jeff.

Boman
09-15-2014, 01:54 AM
Today I was trying another dryer and noticed some of the same sound. Then I remembered working outside of the house at something while the dryer was running. Think it is the same. I think you nailed it when you mentioned the clothes going by the exhaust chute/air flow. Might explain why it does not do it empty. :o

So now I think the guy's problem with the one I originally posted about might have been the tricky lid switch on the washer resulting in loads not being spun properly.

jeff1
09-15-2014, 02:05 AM
Glad you found the trouble maker.

jeff.