PDA

View Full Version : Maytag snubber ring

Boman
09-02-2014, 02:52 AM
Model - MAV6000AWW

Noisey and does not spin very good. Does better if I pull back on the motor creating more tension. I first thought belt. Then I noticed some fabric like debris in the bottom. Evidently it needs a snubber ring. Any way to tell if maybe it also needs a bearing? With me holding the tension on the motor/belt, it gets up to speed and does pretty good and quietens quite a bit. It still did not spin the small load as drye as it should have though imo.

I also greased the motor plate so maybe the motor could slide a little easier. Spread the spring a little also. Not sure how this motor is supposed to slide back and forth as it is.

The belt looks good just seems loose to me. BUt I have seen a video where it looks like it is not supposed to be a tight at all.

jeff1
09-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Any way to tell if maybe it also needs a bearing?

Is it noisy?...like roaring?

Does better if I pull back on the motor creating more tension

Dry motor glides, weak spring, bad belt.....might as well clean and lube the movements, maybe a new spring and belt also.
Check the thrust bearing and pulley for a poor/slow sping.

BUt I have seen a video where it looks like it is not supposed to be a tight at all.

It adjustes itself.

850 Snubber ring, Washing Machine (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1055142)

jeff.

Boman
09-03-2014, 12:40 AM
I might have been going the wrong direction, but I did spread the spring a little hoping to make it slide the motor more.

Didn't get a chance to fool with it today. I did get a snubber late this evening. Thought I would check the thrust bearing assembly when I go to change the snubber.

I'm thinking the noise went away with me holding the motor back when it kind of got up to speed. I will revisit this thing tomorrow and hopefully have an update soon.

It adjustes itself.

I thought it was supposed to. How does it do this. I did lube the parts that are supposed to slide. It needs to do some serious adjusting to spin on its own.

Shouldn't I be able to turn it turn the tub and tranny/brake upside down, remove the thrust washer assembly, and turn the shaft and listen for a noise if the bearing is bad?

jeff1
09-03-2014, 03:33 AM
How does it do this

Spring and motor movement depending on which direction the motor is going.

Shouldn't I be able to turn it turn the tub and tranny/brake upside down, remove the thrust washer assembly, and turn the shaft and listen for a noise if the bearing is bad?

Not normally upside down. Without the thrust bearing and pulley the brake will always be engaged.

jeff.

Boman
09-04-2014, 01:45 AM
Got the snubber in. Now I can't get both washers back on. I did get one. I am going to check tomorrow to see if I need to put the second one. I think the one thicker one might be enought according to a video I watched.

Also, I'm thinking now someone has been in this thing before and put things back in a little backward according to a couple of diagrams I have seen. Might be a good thing I did remove the thrust washer assembly to get to the screws a little better.

The one little flat bearing I saw is a little hard to tell how well the rollers are turning.

I usually try to put things back like they were when I went in. I am learning you can't always do that!

jeff1
09-04-2014, 02:44 AM
Newer kits have the bearing and washers all together...older style...

The one little flat bearing I saw is a little hard to tell how well the rollers are turning.

Lube them up and retest time then.

jeff.

Boman
09-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Lube them up and retest time then

I did that. Spray it with some rust buster. Wiped and blew that off then used a little 3-n-1 machine oil and removed that. I then greased it with white lithium grease. When I spun the bearing with grease on the bottom side, it appeared that at least some of the rollers were working the grease back through the bearing to the top. I didn't notice any scrapping sound as I turned the bearing back and forth by hande around the shaft. Of course maybe I would not even if the bearing was sticky.

Anyway, maybe I'll know more this morning.

Thanks for the diagram with the labels on it.

P.S. Is that a washer between the lower cam and the pulley?

jeff1
09-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Between the clip and lower cam.

jeff.

Boman
09-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I think that diagram is a little different than the one shown on a couple of other sites for this particular model. I got things put back together, but there is a noise for the first several rotations in spin. Could this mean I need to put one washer on it to adjust the slip in the transmission? Or, does it sound like a bad thrust bearing? Hate to have to buy a whole assembly just for that little bearing. I sorta feel like the rollers can turn, but they are worn down so much they might not turn when they need to on the machine. In other words they be as thin as their race/housing.

Boman
09-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Check this out.
I sort of think someone put the wrong kit in this machine. Anyway, here is a link to a short video of the machine I am having the problem with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuC2WpUjssc

The white substance on the base is residue from the corn starch I dusted the dome with.

jeff1
09-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Will have a listen at work, speakers at home don't work.

jeff.

Boman
09-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Appreciate it Jeff. It is a scrubbing sound to me. Kinda like a slipping brake or clutch. That or something letting the tub assembly sit too low and making the snubber itself scrub the base.

jeff1
09-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Hate to say but that sounded more like the tub bearing or drain pump :(
If I was to guess, I'd say tub bearing was roaring.

jeff.