PDA

View Full Version : Normal spin sound?

Boman
09-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Model - WWA8350GALWHWhen I got this washer and tried in the yard a few times, it did great except for a noise at the start of the spin cycle. This would go away as it got up to speed. The sound does not seem to be there in this video. I first th ought clutch then bearing. Now I do not know. It may have gone away after it ran a few times. As far as I know it has not been sitting, it has been being used (I think) maybe in a cellar, not sure.

Now I wonder if it has too much roar, sounds normal...?
Comments appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL8JppufwEg&feature=youtu.be

jeff1
09-15-2014, 02:04 AM
Slip the belt off....noise still there?

jeff.

Boman
09-15-2014, 02:48 AM
I will try to get around to trying that tomorrow. I have known motors to make strange sounds.

Boman
09-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Jeff, do you think this is really abnormal for this machine?
I am still going to slip the belt off when the sun comes up to see what , if any, difference it makes.

jeff1
09-15-2014, 12:39 PM
do you think this is really abnormal for this machine?

Somewhat yes. Might be a worn clutch giving the noise or the tranny.

jeff.

Boman
09-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Just went out and tried it again. The noise ( almost a rattle)I was referring to was back at the start of the spin cycle. Heck, maybe I will know more a little later

Boman
09-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Jeff, the clutch bearing has got some play at the shaft. The shaft looks to be worn down where the the bearing fits. I really think as old as this thing is, the bearing was replaced and the new one put on a worn shaft at some point. The bearing does not feel sticky or jerky. The machine is normal in wash cycles, but in spin the wobbly clutch makes a rattle-like sound until it gets up to speed. Not worth fixing unless I come across a motor on another one.

I think I might just give someone a bargain after I tell them about the clutch/shaft.

Thanks for your help.

jeff1
09-16-2014, 02:33 AM
Looks like you would have to rebuilt the clutch if needed....both single speed and 2 speed ones are now NLA.

Single speed clutch kit Manufacturer Number WH49X231
2-speed clutch and pulley assembly for units with a pressed-wood back panel Manufacturer Number WH49X265
Starting to come up as not available

A-1Appliance says they have a single speed in stock (http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=196151&b=71869&m=11664&afftrack=&urllink=www%2Ea%2D1appliance%2Ecom%2Fproduct%2FWH4 9X231%2DSingle%2DSpeed%2DClutch).
...and an 2 speed on in stock (http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=196151&b=71869&m=11664&afftrack=&urllink=www%2Ea%2D1appliance%2Ecom%2Fproduct%2FWH4 9X265%2DTwo%2DSpeed%2DClutch)

jeff.

Boman
09-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Not sure the clutch is the problem. The pads look good. The problem seems to be the shaft is worn thin right where the bearing rides allowing play in the bearing and clutch housing. This shaft is the motor shaft, right? If so, looks like the whole motor would have to be replaced.

While we are on this machine, it has what I assume is an actuator. Does it only actuate in the wash cycle?

jeff1
09-17-2014, 01:21 AM
The main shaft of the clutch sits on top of the motor shaft....

it has what I assume is an actuator. Does it only actuate in the wash cycle?

?actuator?

jeff.

Boman
09-18-2014, 11:32 AM
I see the clutch does have a separate shaft. I thought it was one shaft going through the motor and the clutch.

I will see if I can find a picutre of what I am calling an actuator. It is a solenoid like thing that raises a lever and engages part of the clutch or brake I think in agitation mode.

Boman
09-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Oh well, I found the picture on Sears web site, but cannot copy and paste it here. This piece is on the motor mount and does not seem to be listed separately. I find that odd. It is just a solonoid like piece that engages part of what looks like the clutch or brake and stops it from spinning. Sits just outside of and under the clutch.

jeff1
09-18-2014, 12:21 PM

That is the speed solenoid. It stops the outer shoes from moving for low or slow speed and when not energized it allows both inner and outer shoes to move for high speed.

jeff.

Boman
09-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Okay, thanks. I was about to post a picture of one I found on Ebay.