PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool Duet Sport Pump?

Boman
09-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Does this sound like a pump? Or maybe a good pump that needs spacers under the mounting screws?

Only seems to make this sound when pumping water out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVxoz2ELpw&feature=youtu.be

jeff1
09-17-2014, 01:21 AM
Will check the video at work.

jeff.

Boman
09-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks Jeff. The more I fool with this thing the more I think it is not a pump making that sound. It seems to have something to do with the cabinet being twisted or a little distorted by the spacers I made. I did add to them raising the washer a little to make sure the pump screws cleared the pedestal. I even removed the screws holding the pedestal and placed a 3/4" board between the washer and the pedestal. This seemed to stop the noise. I'm thinking I will either take it off the pedestal or add some spacers in more places between the two instead of just at the corners which tends to make the middle of the washer flex down a little when the screws are tightened.

Just hard for me to believe that little electric pump can make that sound.

jeff1
09-17-2014, 12:42 PM
That sounded more like a banging and scraping....maybe the outer shell hitting something?

jeff.

Boman
09-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Anyway the motor could be doing that? I removed the back and the bottom front panel. Didn't see anything that look like it might have been scrubbing. The drain hose did n ot want to fit exactly right in one of it's holders, so I tied in with a zip tie.

When I turned the pulley by hand, I heard a slight dry sound. I removed the belt and turned the pulley. No sound. Turned the motor by hand and got the dry like sound. That is why I ask if the motor could be doing this in the spin cycle.

Forgot to mention that I removed what looked like belt dust at the end of the motor. Is this a sighn the belt is getting hot? Machine being overloaded? Bearing trying to seize?

jeff1
09-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Forgot to mention that I removed what looked like belt dust at the end of the motor. Is this a sighn the belt is getting hot? Machine being overloaded? Bearing trying to seize?

Possible yes, yes and yes.

When I turned the pulley by hand, I heard a slight dry sound. I removed the belt and turned the pulley. No sound. Turned the motor by hand and got the dry like sound. That is why I ask if the motor could be doing this in the spin cycle.

Very possible, run the motor in spin with the belt off....any weird noises?

jeff.

Boman
09-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Will do.
About ready to kick this thing to the curb.

I get frustrated with them, but when I got it, I figured might be a learning experience, because I am not very familiar with these. Not sure I want to be though.

jeff1
09-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Not sure I want to be though.

LOL...I know that feeling!

jeff.

Boman
09-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Okay, separated the washer from the pedestal and set the washer on the ground. Seems a lot more normal sound coming from the pump. I am now pretty well convinced my problem involves the pedestal and the lack of proper spacers.

I read on one site where it was telling tools needed to install a pedestal, foam was mentioned. I have no idea what the spacers are made of, where they go, hard, soft....? I did see one with a square piece for, I assume, a spacer or something to deaden the sound in the center of the pedestal.

Could you give a better idea of what these spacers involve?

Before I knew spacers were required for some, I recently sold one with no spacers. It did not make any funny sounds.

jeff1
09-19-2014, 02:58 AM
Have a model#?

jeff.

Boman
09-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Model number for the washer is:
WFW8300SW00

Pedestal model:
WHP1500SQ0

jeff1
09-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Found install manual...
http://www.whirlpool.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Installation%20Instructions%20-%20W10108880.pdf

Those pads...

854 LINK> Pad support (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1179857)

jeff.

Boman
09-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks a bunch Jeff. I had seen that manual, but I did not know what the spacers looked like, so had no idea how they were supposed to stay in place until the washer and pedestal were connected. Self explanatory now that I see the spacers.

jeff1
09-20-2014, 02:27 AM
At $4 a pop they are not very expensive :)

jeff.

Boman
09-20-2014, 02:32 AM
Agreed! If they will solve the problem, very cheap. Worth a shot.

Boman
09-20-2014, 07:50 PM
I think I may need to get a pump for this also, because I doubt the pump should make a noise like this one does. It is a lot quieter but still sounds a little weird to me. Our Samsung does not make a pump noise anything like this. When I cleaned the pump out, it was packed with some kind of granular stuff and a few coins. When I say packed, I mean it was packed in the shape of the filter. I'm thinking the pump may have some slight damage even though it pumps very well and the clothes are dang near dry at the end of spin.
Still wonder why it is louder with the pedestal on it. Turning into one heck of a seek and find kind of thing. I put the legs back on the washer and just set it on the pedestal to see what if any difference it made in the sound. It didn't make much difference. Might not be any profit in it by the time I find the solution, but I am curious about it.

jeff1
09-21-2014, 02:08 AM
Still wonder why it is louder with the pedestal on it.

Pedestal acting like a speaker?!?

I'm thinking the pump may have some slight damage even though it pumps very well and the clothes are dang near dry at the end of spin.

Impellor cracked, shaft bent, motor got too hot from being jammed, etc, etc....

jeff.

Boman
09-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Anyway to bypass the pump and still get it to run to see if the sound is coming from something else?

jeff1
09-21-2014, 03:30 PM
What about removing and tape the wires to the pump and lay the hose down when you want the washer to drain but keep the hose up/elevated when washing/tumbling.

jeff.

Boman
09-21-2014, 09:19 PM
You mean remove the pump itself from the bottom of the cabinet? Hmm..

What if I remove the belt then it put in rinse/spin? It will do nothing , right?

What if completely remove the pump and put a test wire to it? 110 ac? If I could do that, might more conclusive results.

I would like to get the pump to operate with no other parts moving to rule out bearings and such.

jeff1
09-22-2014, 02:38 AM
You mean remove the pump itself from the bottom of the cabinet?

No, leave it there but disconnect the wires so you can still hear all other parts of the washer operate without the drain pump running.

What if completely remove the pump and put a test wire to it? 110 ac? If I could do that, might more conclusive results.

Yes and no....often a pump can work ok when bench testing it but will act differently when in the machine and asked to work normal like.

What if I remove the belt then it put in rinse/spin? It will do nothing , right?

?it? The motor and drain pump should still run but no tumbling or spinning.

jeff.

Boman
09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
I had disconnected the wires to the pump once to isolate it. The machine did nothing. I figured okay, communication problem. Now I think Maybe I should have given it a few seconds. I will try again when I get time.

Speaking of things acting different when asked to work, this is what I was a little concerned about regarding the motor. Sounds fine with the belt off and not having to turn the drum. Maybe I need to hook up a belt to the pulley, run it to a stationary bike and give the drum a turn or two without the motor or pump running. :)

Didn't watch Fred Flintstone all those years for naught!

jeff1
09-23-2014, 01:57 AM
Didn't watch Fred Flintstone all those years for naught!

LOL!!

jeff.

Boman
11-13-2014, 01:09 AM
Thought I might revisit this subject. I got a chance to try this thing today for a bit. When it was just pumping the water out, it was very quiet and normal sounding. When it spins is when it makes the noise. The thing is, the sound stays at the same tempo no matter how fast the drum spins. I put a stethoscope on the back and on the pump. Got noise from both places. The pump has a grinding like sound when the stethoscope is placed on it. The back almost sounds like water being thrown hard against something. Thing is, it is hard to tell if the sound is we hear in the video is coming from the pump or the back inside the two halfs around the drum. Almost like the sound is transmitting from one and being heard at both places.

Oh, and I don't thing this one does anything with the pump disconnected. I had doing something. When I pulled the wires from the pump, it stopped what it was doing until the wires were replaced. I think it was spinning.

The fact hat it pumps the water out quietly but makes a noise when it is spinning makes A bearing ot flange suspect. Right? But, the tempo does not change. That is throwing me off.

jeff1
11-13-2014, 01:41 AM
The fact hat it pumps the water out quietly but makes a noise when it is spinning makes A bearing ot flange suspect. Right?

It would.

But, the tempo does not change. That is throwing me off.

Odd!

jeff.

jeff1
11-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Now that I am at work I listened again to the video....still sounds like just the pump sucking in air when there is no more water to pump.....which is normal.
There might be a -slight- louder bearing noise but seemed like nothing terrible.

jeff.

Boman
11-13-2014, 12:45 PM
pump sucking in air

That might explain making a sound when it is spinning with no water in it and no change in tempo. I kind of feel like the pump has a small amount of damage and is making a sound when empty that can be picked up with the stehoscope kinda like a grinding sound which transferrs to the back maybe through a recirculation hose. I think we are on to something here. I just can't remember ever hearing one do this. This makes me think the pump has some damage.

Right now, this thing works like a charm, just has that sound in it.

Thanks.