PDA

View Full Version : Replacement evaperator fan

RCserve
09-28-2014, 12:56 AM
I'm from the HVACR side of the forces and seldom do anything with appliances. But my neighbors freezer is working poorly and I agreed to give him a hand. He had already just about pinpointed the trouble to the evap fan, and had purchased a new fan blade in the processes, but the root of his trouble is the fan motor. He opted not to purchase it due to the cost of about $120.00 for the simple fan.
The freezer is a Maytag MQU2057AEW. The motor turns a lot slower than I have seen on other freezers and it ohms out very very high, in the neighborhood of 800K ohms. It's quite a different motor, much more robust and has permanent magnets on the rotor, unlike most others I have seen that have a motor similar to a bathroom exhaust fan using a shaded pole motor.
The motor part number is 3-60336-001.
My question is what is the difference of this motor, does it have a different RPM than the majority of others? Is it a stronger motor? and why is it cast in a plastic housing? and why is it almost twice the cost of other evap motors? Can it be replaced with a generic type motor, or is the OEM the only option?
Thanks for your input.
RC

jeff1
09-28-2014, 04:58 AM
Hi,

The freezer is a Maytag MQU2057AEW. The motor part number is 3-60336-001.

This is a WCWoods built freezer for Maytag....and WCWoods went belly up....Whirlpool bought the factories and tripled the price on the parts.

My question is what is the difference of this motor, does it have a different RPM than the majority of others?

Nothing, should be close.

why is it cast in a plastic housing?

Keeps moisture out and plastic is cheap.

why is it almost twice the cost of other evap motors?

See above.

Can it be replaced with a generic type motor

As long as the mounting is the same, yes it can.

or is the OEM the only option?

Not always.

This is a common one we use but we have to add 1/4" wire spade terminals to wire this motor in...

864 Motor, evaporator (freezer) fan (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=778018)

jeff.

RCserve
09-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I wish there was a way to show my thanks on this site.
looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that this is a 115 v a/c motor on this freezer, but in researching for fan troubles, I am finding that many refrigerators are using a D/C motor or a multi-speed dc motor and some with rpm sensors, both for the evaporator and for the condenser motors. I even came across and ECM motor on one unit.These D/C motors have more than two leads and get the D/C voltage from a source on the control boards.
The motor on this troubled freezer only has two leads. The diagram shows it connected from L1 (after the controller) to common, indicating it is 155v A/C. Wired in parallel with the compressor.
The appearance of this motor looks much like these DC motors. It has permanent magnets in it that you can feel as you turn the rotor, a ( choppy feeling as each magnet is passed) just like a D/C or ECM motor would have. This motor is made by Panasonic #UDRQ002c2l. Through all my research, I am unable to find out what kind of a motor this really is or any other information about it other than it is 4.2 Watts and lots of outlets have it for sale.
If anyone has information and knowledge about this, Please explain! It's driving me crazy not being able to find anything on it.
One last random question that has nothing to do with the above, Who makes the "Idylis" chest freezer I saw in at Lowes the other day. They have no clue at Lowes !

jeff1
09-30-2014, 02:24 AM
but in researching for fan troubles, I am finding that many refrigerators are using a D/C motor or a multi-speed dc motor and some with rpm sensors, both for the evaporator and for the condenser motors.

Which have proven to be nightmares!!

looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that this is a 115 v a/c motor on this freezer

Correct.

Who makes the "Idylis" chest freezer I saw in at Lowes the other day. They have no clue at Lowes !

It is made in C h ina.....probably Haier.....

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/haier-haier-5-0-cu-ft-chest-freezer-hcm050ec-white-hcm050ec/10110992.aspx
http://www.lowes.com/pd_462643-33112-ICM050LC_0__

jeff.