PDA

View Full Version : Maytag gas dryer stop tumbling

Dimyself
10-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Maytag performa gas dryer
model pyg3360aww

My dryer stop working 2 days ago and I decided to fix it myself.

The dryer still heats and makes a buzzing noise when I pressed down the knob to start. But the tumbling does not start. Nothing happens when I stop pressing the knob.

I turned off the gas and unplug. Open the dryer and check the belt, it is still intact. Plug the dryer back in and tried to turn it on again. It buzz and I can also smell burning metal. I don't know if this is coming from the motor or the igniter because I have the gas off.

What should I check next?

Dimyself
10-01-2014, 07:55 PM
So I decided to take out the drum and found humming noise is coming from the motor. But the motor does not spin. Does anyone know where the capacitor is located?

jeff1
10-02-2014, 02:36 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know where the capacitor is located?

Doesn't have one.

Make sure nothing is caught in the fan blower wheel....if ok the motor is the suspect then....

867 LINK> Drive motor assembly (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2024638)

jeff.

thefixer
10-02-2014, 01:07 PM
The dryer still heats and makes a buzzing noise when I pressed down the knob to start. But the tumbling does not start.

If it still heats without motor running, then the motor switch or motor centrifugal switch mechanism is faulty. Either way, you must replace the motor.

Dimyself
10-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Today I cleaned out the blower fan. I hoped it was just something stuck in there. I tried to start it again and saw smoke coming out of the motor holding the knob down for about 5 second.

I also tried spinning the motor to see if it will run, it did not.

Is there anything else that can cause this problem? The timer switch maybe? If it's 100% the motor then guess I'll have to buy a new motor.

jeff1
10-03-2014, 02:16 AM
Motor certainly sounds sour :(

If it's 100% the motor then guess I'll have to buy a new motor.

That would be a good idea.

jeff.