PDA

View Full Version : Warm clutch and damp clothes

Boman
10-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Kenmore
Model : 110.22422100
Serial : cl3735909
The complaint is clothes not spinning dry enough with a large load. The drive block looks good. I changed the coupler. Loaded the washer up with what I call a large load (5 pairs of jeans, 3 or4 shirts, pair of short pants, and a pj bottom. At the end of the cycle, the clutch and brake felt somewhat warm to the touch. Not hot enough to sizzle water, but pretty warm.

The clothes felt pretty good for an older washer, maybe feel a little damper than I like to see them. They are not ringing wet.

If there is no slippage, should the clutch and/or brake be heating up any?

There also seems to be a jerking sound coming from the washer.
I will attempt to post a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Qs1F7cTZE

jeff1
10-08-2014, 02:20 AM
The clothes felt pretty good for an older washer, maybe feel a little damper than I like to see them. They are not ringing wet.

If you can't ring any water out of a towel or such, it should have spun fairly good then.

If there is no slippage, should the clutch and/or brake be heating up any?

Should slip to slowly get up to speed, should be heating up some yes.

There also seems to be a jerking sound coming from the washer.
I will attempt to post a link to the video.

A slight noise, but didn't appear to be bad at all.

jeff.

Boman
10-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks Jeff. I was wondering if it was maybe my imagination and not checking a top load out at the end of spin with clothes in it for a while. I have a front loader in the shop that spins clothes so well I may have been comparing this washer with it.
I told the lady I had tried a large load in it and I thought a properly working dryer should have no problem drying the clothes.

Actually, I think there may have been some overloading happening as she is one of those types that has about 20 things going on at any time and always in a rush.

I might also add, I did change the pump. The one that was on it looked almost new but seemed tighter than necessary. Not sure it made a difference.

jeff1
10-08-2014, 01:04 PM
The one that was on it looked almost new but seemed tighter than necessary

Maybe a build up inside?!

jeff.

Boman
10-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Nothing visible. The lady has a cleaning service and had a load of raggedy like towels and rags in it when I went to get it. I can imagine these these leaving trace material in the pump shaft where I could not see. It was very stiff to turn. Really too still to turn with my finger. I inserted part of the handle of a pair of channel lock pliers in the hole the motor shaft fits in to turn it. I even pushed on the propeller (?) directly with the plier handle. Still stiff.

Other than being stiff, it looked very clean

I hope it is history.

jeff1
10-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Really too stiff to turn with my finger. I inserted part of the handle of a pair of channel lock pliers in the hole the motor shaft fits in to turn it. I even pushed on the propeller (?) directly with the plier handle. Still stiff.

Good idea to chance it out then!

jeff.