PDA

View Full Version : GE design flaw?

Boman
10-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Model - WDRR2500K3WW

This thing was making a terrible racket. I noticed the pulley looked like it was on the bottom of the machine. I raised the basket by hand and the noise went away. I reached in and pushed down on the bottom, and like popping a washer lid it flexed back enough to clear the pulleys and or belt. It is still very close to the metal bottom.

Coming home I remembered having to re-enforce one of these machines once because the frame where the suspension rods are attached had given a little. Is this a design flaw or the result of being overloaded?

Six of one, half a dozen of another?

jeff1
10-17-2014, 02:32 AM
I couldn't find anything with that model# but often seeing the newer style with the mode-shifter ( yours shows the tranny style ) where the cabinet is sagged alone the edges and the wash assembly contacts the base. I believe the repair was a one piece support frame (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/GE-Washer-Parts/WH16X10117/0026/363/Model-WDRR2500K3WW/0432/0153200.html) on the top instead if the 3 seperate supports on the top. So yes it is more likely a design flaw!

jeff.

Boman
10-17-2014, 12:15 PM
The lady told me she ran a full load in it yesterday evening, and it did fine. I suspect I will have to revisit this because it was still very close to the base.

jeff1
10-17-2014, 12:20 PM
I suspect I will have to revisit this because it was still very close to the base.

Probably right!

jeff.

thefixer
10-17-2014, 09:41 PM
The sagging apron is a known problem and there is a GE service bulletin on it. Your particular model number is not however, on the list of models prone to this problem.

BTW, I believe this model is a hydrowave with mode shifter and motor/inverter. Online parts diagrams incorrectly show it as having the transmission.

Boman
10-18-2014, 12:42 AM
This one seems jus tlike another I had to brace the apron on before. It does have the belt and pulley and transmission from what I could see with the front off. The belt has worn some and left black soot-like residue on my hands when I lifted the motor to see if the sound went away when it cleared the base.

With the belt and pulley, I assume it has a transmission. Not sure I actually saw one.

I jus tsold this machine to the lady a couple of weeks or so ago. It did not have this problem at that time. She said it worked fine the first 2 or 3 times she used it. I felt a little relieved when I just pushed the base down and the problem went away. But thinking about it on the way home, I remembered the other one I had to brace with some angle iron. Now I feel this one needs the same fix or the parts ordered to fix it. Actually, I think I like my fix better.

jeff1
10-18-2014, 02:23 AM
I felt a little relieved when I just pushed the base down and the problem went away

Gotta also wonder if a cart or such may have pushed up on the base giving more problems as well as the flimsy GE construction.

jeff

Boman
10-18-2014, 12:17 PM
I agree. Guy may have let it hit the ground hard coming out of the truck also or let it hit too hard standing it up. For all I know the lip of the two wheeled trucks (cart?) may have pushed the base up.

If I am lucky, the base just got pushed up someway, and the thing will okay. Got my doubts though.

jeff1
10-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Got my doubts though.

What is that saying....hope for the best, expect the worst.

jeff.

Boman
10-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Eactly. Something tells me I should nip this in the bud, but I got a lot going on right now. I guess I will just hope for the best.

Prob being kicking myself before this is over when I have to replace a belt, pulley, etc,..