View Full Version : Whirlpool dryer loud clicking after repair

mcgeggy
03-09-2013, 11:17 PM
My Whirlpool LG7686XP (gas) dryer was squealing like crazy so I replaced the belt, tensioner, and rear roller wheels. The squealing is gone, but now there is a loud cyclical clicking coming from one of the rear rollers wheels timed with the wheel and not the drum (happens much faster than per each drum revolution). The roller wheels are lined up correctly with the drum, and the roller wheel shafts appear to be smooth and in good condition. The clicking was not there before the repair.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

jeff1
03-10-2013, 03:00 AM
Hi,

LG7686XP

I found LG7686XPW0 LG7686XPW1

was squealing like crazy so I replaced the belt, tensioner, and rear roller wheels. The squealing is gone, but now there is a loud cyclical clicking coming from one of the rear rollers wheels timed with the wheel and not the drum (happens much faster than per each drum revolution).

Recheck the idler pulley, some will hit the plastic sleeve on the motor shaft and make a noise.

204 Belt tension pulley (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=3346)

Some idler pulleys are made wrong and the idler pulley hits the motor pulley. Sometimes we have to change the pulley again or remove the plastic sleeve from the motor.
If it is one of the roller wheels, it may be a chunk of rubber stuck to the drum in the groove where the roller wheel runs, bad roller with a flat spot.

205 Rear drum support roller kit (2) in kit, Whirlpool-Kenmore, and others (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=3436)

jeff.

mcgeggy
03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks Jeff! It actually turned out to be one of the replacement rear drum support rollers (the bottom left roller). I'm not sure why it was making such a racket, but when I put the original one back on (which was still in good condition), the noise vanished. The replacement rollers were slightly thinner than the originals, so maybe that had something to do with it...

jeff1
03-13-2013, 01:57 AM
Glad to hear it was easy to catch...good job :)
Thankx for the update.

jeff.