PDA

View Full Version : new fridge seems wet inside

chrisb
05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
We bought my mother new fridge from Sears last year. She is constantly complaining to me about how wet/damp it is inside. Her lettuce doesn't last very long and the carrots keep going bad. I don't have the model number right now but does this sound like something that there could be a setting to adjust?

jeff1
05-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi,

I'd take some temp reads from both sections and post them. Many have adjustements for more or less humidity in the crisper bins but not so much for the whole refrigerator. Maybe an air leak ( door gaskets, screw holes from reversing the door swing ) could cause more condendation or humidity inside. Light(s) shut off ok when the doors are closed?

jeff.

chrisb
05-23-2012, 05:48 PM
I have inspected the door seals and they look fine. I will check the temps as soon as I find my temp probe.

jeff1
05-24-2012, 12:46 AM
What is the model#?

jeff.

chrisb
05-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Sears Model 970-415221

The crisper with the control on it is set to the lowest humidity.

jeff1
05-26-2012, 12:12 AM
970-415221

A Frigidaire built Kenmore.

A copy:
Cover foods and wipe containers dry before placing them in the refrigerator. This cuts down on moisture build-up inside the unit.
A copy:
Crispers are designed to hold moisture in order to keep vegetables fresh.
Washing foods before putting them in the crisper can cause excess moisture to form inside the crisper. To control moisture buildup, allow produce to dry on a towel after it is washed, before it is placed in the crisper. Excess moisture could cause produce to prematurely spoil.
On models with a moisture control on the front of the crisper, adjust the setting to low humidity or the fruit setting.

Not so much in the fresh food section but have seen some frosting and moisture in the freezer from the door gaskets. Could effect the FF section as well. The gaskets push into a molded track on the door liner, sometimes air can sneek around the gasket on the door side and enter the refrigerator. If that occurs we remove the gasket and run a small beed of silicone on the track/molded track and reinstall the gasket.

If I find more I will post it.

jeff.

chrisb
05-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks I will check the fridge again next time I am there. The biggest thing is this is not the same way her old fridge worked, so she claims.
Do you think it would be better if the crispers were more open to the rest of the fridge? If so I will check if there is something I can do to reduce the seal on them.

jeff1
05-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Do you think it would be better if the crispers were more open to the rest of the fridge?

I would think so, the idea would be to allow the air flow to pick up the moisture and deposit on the evaporator/cooling coils. That is why often thing dry out ( open piece of cheese or sandwich meat, etc ).

The biggest thing is this is not the same way her old fridge worked, so she claims.

Times change....but not always for the better ;)

jeff.

chrisb
07-03-2012, 01:39 AM
My sister came by and turned the humidity control on the one crisper up to more humid. All this time my mother was complaining her lettuce was too wet and rotting and I think is was too dry and wilting.

jeff1
07-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Interesting....opposite of what she was saying ;)

Thankx for the update.

jeff.