View Full Version : Whirlpool Fridge Water Dispenser

DeadDireWolf
04-17-2013, 01:37 AM
Hi.

I have a Whirlpool fridge model ED25PQXFW00 and the water dispenser does not dispense water. Ice maker works fine. I had a new inlet solenoid lying about and swapped it out but it still does not work. I read in another thread to run a volt meter test on the water fill valve side but I'm not sure I was doing it correctly. Voltage across means bad valve, no voltage across means bad switch? I'm not sure. Also, I thought I saw two switches in the diagram for this fridge. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

jeff1
04-17-2013, 02:16 AM
Hi,

but I'm not sure I was doing it correctly. Voltage across means bad valve, no voltage across means bad switch?

No voltage is often a bad switch or broken mechanism that activates the switch. Voltage to the fill valve but no water could be a bad valve, frozen water tank/reservoir, frozen water line.

Did you have voltage there? Any hummmmm noise from the fill valve when calling for water?

At the bottom of the freezer door should be a disconnect for the chilled water line. Disconnect that and push the water dispenser to see if you can get water to flow into a bucket or such out of the hose at the freezer door hinge.

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
04-18-2013, 01:27 AM
No hum when calling for water. I'm not sure how to test for voltage on fill valve. I left the fridge plugged in and slid the connector back a bit to expose the contacts. I set the meter to 250 AC. It didn't budge on the water side. It didn't budge on the ice side either. Which makes me think I didn't test it properly. Anyway, no water from the bottom freezer door disconnected line when I push the dispenser lever.

jeff1
04-18-2013, 02:09 AM
Appears to be PU and WH for the chilled water wires at the fill valve. Set meter for 120-240 volts AC and push the meter leads into the connector. Push the water paddle and should see voltage....if no voltage, the dispenser water switch is then suspect.

264 Micro switch (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=445177)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tDQ0X1LRhpg

Icemaker side won't activate until the icemaker calls for water, it sends power to the icemaker 1/2 of the fill valve for approx 6-9 seconds.

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
04-18-2013, 05:09 AM
Sorry, PU & WH?

Thanks for the help.

jeff1
04-18-2013, 11:40 AM
PU is normally purple and WH is white.
I checked a diagram I found online for your model, hopefully the colour wires are correct.

jeff.

DeadDireWolf
04-22-2013, 10:27 PM
It turns out the front pin that keeps the switch in place for when the rocker arm strikes it was broken. So it had fallen out of place and wasn't being pressed. I fixed it with a bracket I made. Thanks for your help.

jeff1
04-23-2013, 02:27 AM
It turns out the front pin that keeps the switch in place for when the rocker arm strikes it was broken

So the switch was moving out of place rather than activating the fill valve. Good catch!

jeff.