PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint dishwasher drain sticking open

pudge211
04-26-2013, 12:24 AM
Hello

I have a Hotpoint Dishwasher model #HDA200X-66BA Approx age is 7yrs old. I just replaced the entire motor and pump assembly due to the fan on the old style motor breaking free from the motor spindle. My problem now is that when I run the dishwasher, after the first cycle of filling and rinsing the DW will drain off the water and then start to fill again but the drain valve stays open. If I move the door lever to the off position and then slide it back over to power up the DW the valve seems to now be closed and hold water. Motor and pump assembly are less than 72hrs old. this was a simple plug and play fix, is it possible my timer has now gone bad or possible that installing the new style motor and pump did something to the timer?

Thank You in advance for any advice you can give. I just searched the internet and could not find an answer to my problem

Joe

jeff1
04-26-2013, 02:32 AM
Hi,

Check for a kinked or restricted drain first. Solenoid is only energized for a short time to open the drain valve and then the power disappears, the water pressure from the draining water holds the valve open until so little water is left the spring now over comes the water pressure and the valve closes. A slow or poor drain could easy still be draining and the timer advances into the fill mode and the d/w is draining and filling at the same time.

jeff.

pudge211
04-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi,

Check for a kinked or restricted drain first. Solenoid is only energized for a short time to open the drain valve and then the power disappears, the water pressure from the draining water holds the valve open until so little water is left the spring now over comes the water pressure and the valve closes. A slow or poor drain could easy still be draining and the timer advances into the fill mode and the d/w is draining and filling at the same time.

jeff.

Thank You for the reply. I checked the drain hose and it is not kinked and the flow into the sink drain is solid and strong. the DW empties all the water and the pump gets loud as its dry and still trying to drain. I can hear the water valve open and start to fill the DW and as its filling the drain is open and it pumps water into the sink drain. If I pause the cycle and restart it by the door switch the drain valve must close because it now continues to fill without draining. Can I check voltage at the drain solenoid while it is running to see if there is voltage holding it open? And if so what voltage am I looking for?

Joe

jeff1
04-26-2013, 02:21 PM
I can hear the water valve open and start to fill the DW and as its filling the drain is open and it pumps water into the sink drain. If I pause the cycle and restart it by the door switch the drain valve must close because it now continues to fill without draining.

That's the part that bothers me....it -doesn't- sound like the valve is acually energized, it should reopen as soon as you turn the d/w back on....since it does not, sounds more mechanical ( sticking ) in nature = a bad motor and pump assembly and probably should be replaced under the part warranty.

jeff.

pudge211
04-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff I will try to get the pump unit exchanged..

jeff1
04-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Let us know how the repair goes.

jeff.