PDA

View Full Version : Maytag Freezer Issue

johnkaz20
05-03-2013, 06:40 AM
We have a Maytag MBL2258XES1 that's about 3 years old and it has recently started leaking water onto the floor from the freezer drawer. Poking around on the internet it seems to be a clogged defrost drain pipe. I tried to take the whole thing apart to fix it... Got the drawers out. Got the ice maker out. Took out the four screws holding the back panel in place but I couldn't get the back panel off.

So frustrating.

Is that plastic half dome at the top of the freezer part of the back panel or does that have to come off before I remove the panel? If it has to come off, how do I do remove it?

Since I'm heading out of town this weekend, I thought I might just let it sit and defrost for a few days so I killed the circuit breaker. That should clear any ice in the drain tube, right? When I'm back on Sunday should I do anything else?

Thanks!!
John

jeff1
05-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi,

Is that plastic half dome at the top of the freezer part of the back panel or does that have to come off before I remove the panel? If it has to come off, how do I do remove it?

Yes. Just pulls straight out towards you as it is just cliped in place.

Since I'm heading out of town this weekend, I thought I might just let it sit and defrost for a few days so I killed the circuit breaker. That should clear any ice in the drain tube, right? When I'm back on Sunday should I do anything else?

Full defrosting should help, but yes defiently try running some hot water down the drain to help flush it out.

jeff.

johnkaz20
05-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Got it. It has defrosted for about 14 hours now so maybe I'll try and take it apart again (I stupidly put it back together) and give it a quick flush.

Do I need to pull the fridge out from the wall at all?

johnkaz20
05-03-2013, 07:57 PM
So i took it all apart again and tried to pour hot water down the hole in the middle, but it still backed up. Ugh... What should I do? snake a pipe cleaner through?

jeff1
05-04-2013, 02:24 AM
What should I do? snake a pipe cleaner through?

Sure, worth a try....or blast some compressed air down....or blast some hot water down with a turkey baster.

Do I need to pull the fridge out from the wall at all?

Normally no.

jeff.