View Full Version : auto cycle

Boman
05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Hello Jeff.

Will a bad stat heater stop a Kenmore dryer 110.86477800 from advancing in the auto cycle?

Also is it normal for the heat at the exhaust to exceed the rated cycle stat when empty and running? The stat is rated 155- 25.

Thanks.

P.S. Glad I remembered you addy and could find you and this forum.

jeff1
05-04-2013, 02:19 AM
Hi,

Will a bad stat heater stop a Kenmore dryer 110.86477800 from advancing in the auto cycle?

A weak safety thermostat ( on the heating element cage ) can cycle off too soon before the operating thermostat can cycle the heat off and effect the auto cycle. A bad operating thermostat ( on the fan blower housing ) not cycling or over heating can effect the auto cycle.

Also is it normal for the heat at the exhaust to exceed the rated cycle stat when empty and running? The stat is rated 155- 25

Yes, a 155?F stat will approx allow the heat to come up to 160-165?F and cycle the hat off, dryer cools and the heat will go below the stats temp and come back on....Kinda like heat on at 135 and heat off at 165.

jeff.

Boman
05-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking maybe the working stat heater is causing this thing not to advance. It does not show to have continuity. I assume it should show continuity at room temp?

I can't remember ever seeing one like this one. It fits around the working stat.

Also on the heater cage, there is a square like plastic box with a tube going somewhere. Another first for me.

jeff1
05-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Also on the heater cage, there is a square like plastic box with a tube going somewhere. Another first for me.

#66?...

...Lint alert, suppose to worn the customer by making a noise if they didn't clean the lint filter....it is NLA.

I'm thinking maybe the working stat heater is causing this thing not to advance. It does not show to have continuity. I assume it should show continuity at room temp?

Heater was seperate on older dryers, newer ones the heater is built into the stat itself.....heater warms up the stat for different heat temps.

286 Cycling thermostat pre-heater assembly (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2992)

Should have continuity but it will likely be very high and must have a good meter to read the ohms.

Replacment thermostat...

287 Adjustable dryer cycling thermostat kit L135-155 (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2895)

jeff.

Boman
05-04-2013, 04:44 PM
So this heater would cause a no advance situation in auto, right? Supposed to fool the stat that temp has been reached and send power to timer, right?

Boman
05-05-2013, 01:45 AM
So, I decided to chck another dryer I have. It does not advance in auto neither.

If I am thinig right, the heaters are showing way too much resistance on both of thse dryers. The Whlpl diagram gives a reading of 5600-8400 ohms. My meter set on 20k shows 7.12. I have another used heater that reads 6.9 at 20,000.

The heater on the old Kenmore gives readng on the meter of 3.5 at 20k. I do not have a complete diagram fo that heater so I do not now what it is speced at. I haven't found a resistor on either dryer. Maybe I need to look a little more in depth.

jeff1
05-05-2013, 02:04 AM
So this heater would cause a no advance situation in auto, right?

Nope, not really....a bad heater wont give lower temps, just high only.

The Whlpl diagram gives a reading of 5600-8400 ohms. My meter set on 20k shows 7.12.

That should be close to a 7000 ohms reading then.

jeff.

Boman
05-05-2013, 02:18 AM
K, so the heater does not fool the stat into shutting off and sending power to the timer motor to advance?

jeff1
05-05-2013, 01:16 PM
K, so the heater does not fool the stat into shutting off and sending power to the timer motor to advance?

The heaters job is not for the timer advancing, but it's job is to fool the thermostat into cycling faster for lower temps or different temps.

jeff.

Boman
05-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Am I correct in thinking not all dryers have resistors or moisture sensors in the auto circuit? That the auto cycle works off working and safety stats?

jeff1
05-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Am I correct in thinking not all dryers have resistors or moisture sensors in the auto circuit?

Yes.

That the auto cycle works off working and safety stats?

Operating/working thermostat yes.

jeff.

Boman
05-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Well, I looked further and did find a power resistor at the timer. Reads 4.14 ohms with meter set at 20k. Haven't been able to find the spec for this resistor. I did google the subject and found one that was like 5000 ohms for a whlpl dryer. Would this one be within the right range?

Since this dryer has a resistor, does it matter witch wire goes where on the safety stat on the cage?

jeff1
05-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Some say right on the wire diagram the ohms rating....some do not.

EG:

Reads 4.14 ohms

4000+ ohms...that would seem good.

jeff.

Boman
05-06-2013, 05:03 PM
I think this beast has been tamed. While removing the safety stat, I noticed the terminal connection seemed loose. I changed it, put a few wet pieces in the dryer and it advances in auto. I also exchanged the stat with one with a built-in heater with the same rating. But, the loose stake-on connection seemed to have been the problem.

I will put the original stat and heater back on it and check it again.

This old dryer is not worth this much trouble, but it is a learning experience for me. I need to really study the wiring so I can try and get a better picture of just how this thing works.

Thanks for not shutting the door on me.

jeff1
05-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Thankx for the update :)

jeff.

Boman
05-07-2013, 11:52 AM
I will put the original stat and heater back on it and check it again.

Did put the original parts back on, and it still advances even though the stat heater shows less resistance than the one on a newer dryer calls for. The schematic for the newer dryer was all I had to go on to get an idea of how much resistance I should expect. It called for somewhere around 5800 to 8000 ohms for that one.
This one read a little over 4, but it seems to work okay.

jeff1
05-07-2013, 03:39 PM
As long as it works ok, that's the important part ;)

jeff.